~prologue~

"We have arrived, my lady."

I gazed towards the large metal gate as I stepped out of the car. Our family's driver dedicatedly walked to the back of the car in order to get my baggage out. There wasn't much to take, just a small luggage with my clothes and daily stuffs which I needed. Other than that, I didn't have anything heavy which would require more than one person to carry.

I thanked the man, then watched as the car drove away and left me alone. When the car had disappeared, I turned back to face the gate, and the new world which was slowly being unveiled, inviting me to join in. Yet, it was not a pleasant journey, because I knew this was the start for the war. And I, was to be the new soldier thrown into the middle of the battlefield. Any mistake could be fatal.

I did not know what to describe my feelings right now. I had not been able to rest probably since the day I was informed of the transfer. There was definitely that feeling of dread, also anticipation. However, underneath them all was the burning passion. Already, I could feel my blood pumping rapidly through the veins under my skin.

I did not expect to be number one, but losing was not an option. From the day I was born, it was imprinted upon my existence to not bring shame on my family's name. Yet, it seemed that I was not exactly that prodigy which everyone expected, and there was always others who could do better than me.

I was the one who was given up, free... free to do whatever I chose to as long as I would not taint the family name. And thus, it came to this. I was to successfully graduate from this academy, Totsuki, famous for its name in the culinary industry. It didn't matter if I wasn't number one, I needed to pass. Then, I was free.

This was the final test from my family, and this school was the battlefield for me.

It was always me against the world. I had to face all the burdens alone now because mother wasn't here anymore. But it didn't matter, nothing mattered now.

If this school would be the battlefield, I would come out alive and triumphant.

Because I wouldn't allow myself to lose.