Guillang vs. Bedania

FIRST DIVISION

SOFIA M. GUILLANG, represented G.R. No. 162987
by SUSAN GUILLANG-CABATBAT,
REYNALDO, GERARDO,
BIENVENIDO, DAWNA, and NELLIE,
all surnamed GUILLANG,
GENARO GUILLANG,
JOSE DIGNADICE, and
ALVIN LLANILLO,
Petitioners,
Present:

PUNO, C.J., Chairperson,
- versus - CARPIO,
CORONA,
LEONARDO-DE CASTRO, and
BERSAMIN, JJ.

RODOLFO BEDANIA Promulgated:
and RODOLFO DE SILVA,
Respondents. May 21, 2009
x - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -x

D E C I S I O N

CARPIO, J.:
The Case

This is a petition for review[1] of the 3 June 2003 Decision[2] and the 23 March 2004 Resolution[3] of the Court of Appeals in CA-G.R. CV No. 69289. The 3 June 2003 Decision set aside the 5 December 2000 Decision[4] of the Regional Trial Court, Branch 30, Manila (trial court). The 23 March 2004 Resolution denied the motion for reconsideration.

The Facts

On 25 October 1994, at about 5:45 in the afternoon, petitioner Genaro M. Guillang (Genaro) was driving his brand new Toyota Corolla GLI sedan with conduction sticker no. 54-DFT (car) along Emilio Aguinaldo Highway (highway) in Cavite. Genaro, Antero Guillang (Antero), Felipe Jurilla, Jose Dignadice (Dignadice), and Alvin Llanillo (Llanillo) had all just left from Golden City, Dasmarias, Cavite, and were on their way to Manila. At the other side of the highway, respondent Rodolfo A. Bedania (Bedania) was driving a ten-wheeler Isuzu cargo truck with plate no. CAC-923 (truck) towards Tagaytay City. The truck was owned by respondent Rodolfo de Silva (de Silva).

Along the highway and the road leading to the Orchard Golf Course, Bedania negotiated a U-turn. When the truck entered the opposite lane of the highway, Genaros car hit the right portion of the truck. The truck dragged Genaros car some five meters to the right of the road.

As a consequence, all the passengers of the car were rushed to the De La Salle University Medical Center in Dasmarias, Cavite for treatment. Because of severe injuries, Antero was later transferred to the Philippine General Hospital. However, on 3 November 1994, Antero died due to the injuries he sustained from the collision. The car was a total wreck while the truck sustained minor damage.

On 24 April 1995, petitioners Genaro, Llanillo, Dignadice, and the heirs of Antero[5] instituted a complaint for damages based on quasi-delict against respondents Bedania and de Silva.

On 5 December 2000, the trial court rendered a decision in favor of petitioners. The trial court found Bedania grossly negligent for recklessly maneuvering the truck by making a sudden U-turn in the highway without due regard to traffic rules and the safety of other motorists. The trial court also declared de Silva grossly negligent in the selection and supervision of his driver, Bedania. The dispositive portion of the decision provides:

WHEREFORE, judgment is hereby rendered ordering defendants Rodolfo A. Bedania and Rodolfo de Silva, jointly and severally, to pay plaintiffs, as follows:

1.         The sum of P508,566.03 representing the damage/repair costs of the Toyota to plaintiff Genaro M. Guillang.

2.         The sum of P50,000.00 for the death of Antero Guillang plus P185,000.00 for his burial expenses, to the heirs of Antero Guillang.

3.         For hospital and medical expenses as reflected in Exhibits E, E-1 to E-30 to plaintiffs Genaro M. Guillang, Jose Dignadice and Alvin Llanillo.

4.        The sum of P50,000.00 as moral damages for the heirs of the deceased Antero Guillang.

5.         The sum of P50,000.00 as moral damages each to plaintiffs Jose Dignadice, Alvin Llanillo and Genaro Guillang.