[ONESHOT]

It’s really hard to move on from the past, especially if we’re talking about mending a broken heart.  No matter how much you want to or how hard you try, it’s a piece of work to attempt such a feat in a matter of a short time span. Believe me, I know. You might even go and make excuses, telling yourself that it’s because everything reminds you of this certain person, how you see them no matter where you looked. But to you, maybe it was true, maybe you studied in the same school, that’s why you still see him around; maybe he was a co-worker, a neighbour, a family friend.

Because in my case, I never saw Enrique again.

Not right after our high school graduation.

It’s, like, he just disappeared from the face of the earth. I mean, not that I tried looking for him.

We spoke to each other before the commencement exercises started, but it was just small talk. Right after the program, I tried looking for him, but I was told that he left right after graduation ended. That was the last day I ever saw him.

There were days when I could’ve sworn that I have already gotten over him, but later I would figure out that those were just the outcome of wishful thinking. There were times that I would know that I was being plain stupid to be still pining for my high school boyfriend, but I know that in my heart, he was my first great love. Even after all we’ve been through.

“Julia!” My co-worker, Kathryn, who was standing outside my cubicle, interrupted me from my thoughts. I turned to look at her.

“Yeah?” I asked her, as she pointedly frowned at the pen I was holding. It turned out that I had been tapping the table with my pen far too loud that she could her me two cubicles away. “Sorry, Kath.”

“It’s fine,” she tells me. “Just saying, in case the boss will hear you stalling around, and tapping your pen. You don’t want her to get much more pissed than she already is.” She warns.

I nodded. “Thanks. I think she needs a rest. The stress is getting to her.” I commented.

“Did you already check your email to see if the lady responded?” She asked.

I realize that I had almost forgotten about it. “Oh, right. I’m checking it now.” I replied, as Kathryn walked her way back to her cubicle.

And, oh, it’s been six years since my high school graduation.