Chapter 2

I got away from home by hiding in the Oak Tree, up toward the middle, like I always do. The boys usually ignore me anyways; so when I saw they were engaged enough in their game of soccer, I jumped off of the branch, over the torn apart fence, and onto the sidewalk. I looked through one of the bigger holes in the fence to make sure no one noticed. Luckily they didn't. Now I was on my way.

While walking to Agustin's I thought of so many ways to tell him about how we are going to have a child. I couldn't decide how I was going to bring up this news. I decided to go along with whatever I think of at the time. The closer I got to Agustin's, the more I worried. What if he just decided to throw everything away and leave me to fend for myself? What if he tells his friends? No, I need to stop thinking like this he will never do that. After 20 minutes I was standing on his doorstep.

Agustin came to the door right away. "Hey Austen. Why are you here so late? It is cold out, come on in."

"Thanks." At this point I was hoping to hide it a while longer. I turned to Agustin and saw the look of concern in his eyes. I knew I couldn't hide it; the truth needed to come out. "Hey, can we talk in private?" I ask as I roll my eyes to where his parents were sitting. Getting the hint, he gestured for me to head towards his room.

I have always loved his room. The medium brown colors of the walls make the room warm and inviting. Way better than my room. No holes, no mold, it was a nice room. I decided to sit on his bed. "Hey Agustin, I need to tell you something very important, and I want you to know that I also hate that this has happened. And I really need someone to be supportive but I understand if you want to leave. And-"

"Austen. Take a deep breath and tell me what is going on. I can guarantee that I will not leave you. I love you too much. What's going on?" He then sat down next to me cradling me in his arms.

"Agustin, I am pregnant." As soon as I said these words a huge feeling of relief came over me. When I looked up at Agustin he showed several emotions.

"Agustin I hate that this happened probably as much as you do. And I totally understand if-"

"Austen stop worrying that I am going to leave you!" He held me at arms length and looked me in the eyes. " I understand that this is huge and it is going to cause problems with our parents. Yes, I wasn't expecting this news. But am I going to leave you? No! I would never do that! I am nervous and am having mixed emotions about this news, but I am so happy! We can be a family! I can have you all to myself, and not have to worry about anyone taking you away from me! This is probably the best news I have gotten in a while! You are all mine for sure now, and we will get through this together!" He pulled me into a tight hug. Just then his mother walked in and asked me if I would be staying for dinner. I looked at the time and realized how long I had been gone.

"Thank you for the offer Mrs. Dane, but I really should be going." I gave Agustin one last hug, and ran past his mother, down the stairs and out of the house. I turned the corner on the street, and ran the entire way home in the dark. The second I get home I imediately regret my decision to go see Agustin.

"Where the hell have you been Austen? It is way past your bed time. You are grounded."

" What? Really dad? Since when do you care! Ever since I was little you never cared about my life or my brothers lives. You are a drunk and you are high all the time! Since when do you care about us? Grounding me won't do shit because you won't even be able to remember! If you truly cared about us you wouldn't be this way, and you would have a good job, and we would be in better living conditions! Stay the fuck out of my life!" And I ran upstairs while my dad continued to yell at me, and my mom started chasing me up the stairs.