Chapter 3

"Peter," said Mira "why are you staying home? You don't have to worry about me, I'll be fine."

"I know but you just got back from your mission trip and you should have a day to relax and recuperate."
"I have everything laid out, pancakes in the morning, a relaxing bath afterwards, then a romantic-comedy before we take a nap."

I could see the irritation growing in her eyes, and I knew I'd crossed the line but I wanted everything to be perfect for her.

"Peter," she said, trying to control the irritation in her voice, "I don't need you treating me like I'm a little girl.  It's hard enough being the youngest, even though I am 15 every one treats me like I'm 13." Tears were forming in her eyes.

I could feel the pang in my chest. How could I have made her so sad? I'm such an idiot. I wasn't trying to make her feel like a child.

I got up from my chair and hurried over to her side, kneeling on the floor. I took her hand and looked into her eyes, "Mira, I never intended to make you feel like this. I was just so happy that you were back that I couldn't help myself. I hope you know I do anything to make you happy."

Now the tears were definitely flowing, making her checks glisten in the morning sunlight.

"Let's finish breakfast and then do whatever you want for the day."
She smiled and I felt a wave of relief wash over me.

"I would love that, but I don't want you getting fired because if me."

"Mira my dear, that's a mute point and I think you know it, now finish up those pancakes before they get cold!" I got up and kissed her on the top of her head, and went back to my chair. 

We ate in a comfortable silence, Her smile never leaving her face as she ate her breakfast. Looking up at her beautiful smile was all I needed to be happy.