Chapter 1

Chapter 1:

            “All passengers should be seated at this time. We’re now reaching Pittsburg International Airport and are preparing to descend. Thank you for flying with JetBlue.” The monotone voice sounded. Maddie sat upright in her extremely uncomfortable seat. She peered out the window to see if she could navigate through her hometown with a bird’s eye view. The fragments of clouds still hovering under the plane provided little help, but Maddie didn’t care. Even just seeing a smoke stack on top of one of Pittsburg’s taller buildings gave her a rush of adrenaline.

“Home again, home again.” Maddie whispered to herself, letting out a small smile. Finally, after a year of non-stop action she was back to oh-so-typical Pittsburg. When Maddie first got the call about the amazing movie opportunity in Los Angeles she was more than excited to fly out as soon as possible. Stay in Pittsburg at Abby Lee Miller’s studio all-day or go to LA and star in a movie? Sounded like a no-brainer. But, it felt good to be back, even if she hadn’t even landed yet. She was already staring to feel more relaxed. There weren’t any interviews or cameras or publicity events, which all put way to much stress on a 17-year-old girl, going on 18. In the next hour she’d be catching up with Kendall, her best friend, or visiting Miss Abby at the studio or picking up right where she left off with Jake. Finally, no more guessing what was coming next. In Pittsburg she new exactly what was coming at all times which allowed her to breath a little easier again.

 Maddie felt a jolt, making her jump a bit in her seat. The plane’s wheels were now firmly planted on the runway and the plane was meandering around looking for the correct place to park. When the plane finally stopped moving Maddie unbuckled her seatbelt and started winding her ear buds around her phone, before throwing the entire thing into her navy blue Longchamp bag. She pulled out her suitcase from above her and strolled off the plane. There was always an upside to first class. Maddie felt like one of those girls who had everything put together. Sashaying down Pittsburg International Airport’s busy hall with just a small suitcase and a designer bag made Maddie feel like one of those girls that everyone loved, but envied at the same time. She could sense the eyes of passing girls trying to stare holes into Maddie’s light wash white polka-dotted jean shorts and baby blue shear cropped tank top. Last time she was in this airport was the day she left for LA and she was dragging at least 5 suitcases over to check in with her hair in a messy bun and her sweatshirt practically falling off of her, leaving her with just a white V-neck, with a pink stain on it from a miss-encounter with strawberry ice cream. Suffice to say that people were staring at her for the wrong reasons.

Maddie finally saw her mother in a Starbucks café just outside of the check in. She quickened her pace until she was at her mother’s side in line. “Did you order me an green tea frapachino?” Maddie asked her mother, eyes twinkling.

“Maddie!” Her mom exclaimed engulfing her if one massive hug.

“One green tea frapachino and a plain iced tea, no milk.” Maddie’s mom gave her a knowing expression that made Maddie squeal with excitement as she ran up to the counter to claim her beverage of choice.

“Thank you, thank you, thank you!”

“Think of it as your welcome home present.” Melissa, Maddie’s mom, said with a smile. She looked behind Maddie with a confused expression. “Where are the rest of your things? I guarantee you left with at least quadruple of what you have now.”

“They’re shipping them later this week. “

“They?” Melissa questioned.

“The hotel, management, they.”

“Who knew my Maddie would have ‘people’ Actually, I knew.” Melissa exclaimed clutching her daughter. Maddie let out a small chuckle as she followed her mom out of the airport and into the crowded parking lot. She immediately spotted her mom’s car, mostly because of the Abby Lee Dance Company sticker placed on the bumper.