nineteen

Wonwoo had been sent home from school early, and stayed off sick the next day because of lying to his mum and saying he had thrown up. Home alone, Wonwoo sat in a cocoon of his space-patterned bedsheets, staring intently at the small succulent Mingyu had given him when they'd gone to the garden centre together. He remembered how Mingyu had grabbed his hand, and buried himself deeper into is burrito of blankets.

He wasn't sure why, but he felt almost like staying off school was deliberately to avoid Mingyu, and Wonwoo didn't even know why he wanted to avoid him in the first place. Mingyu was his friend, his very cute, tall, tan, amazingly-jawlined, beautiful-smiled friend- Wonwoo made a loud grunting noise in exasperation and frustration, sinking his face into his pillow.

Mingyu was stressing him out, and Wonwoo couldn't figure out why. Picking the succulent plant up from his windowsill and spinning the pot around in his hands, all Wonwoo could think of was how Mingyu had smiled so much when he had given the plant to him, how excited he had been to explain everything about it to him and how their hands had touched a little when he had taken the plant from his hold.

Sighing, Wonwoo sat up, letting the covers fall off his body and back onto the bed. He stood up, planting his feet on the carpet of his room and walked over to the balcony windows at the end of his room. The sky was clear that day, and Wonwoo could see the moon even though it was daylight. Wonwoo wondered if Mingyu had noticed the moon that day.

A buzz from the phone in his hand startled him and he jolted in surprise, before sighing and heading back inside to flop back on his bed and check his phone, and open the text message he had just received.

mingyu: where r u lil emo ;(

Wonwoo felt the sick, stomach-fluttery feeling return at the sight of Mingyu's contact name light up his phone. Swallowing heavily and furrowing his eyebrows, he tapped out a reply anyway.

me: im ill :(

me: also im not 'lil' im older than you

mingyu: nOOOOO omg that sucks so much i miss uuuuu

mingyu: get well soon u lil emo

me: again with the 'lil'?

mingyu: as in height you trout

me: so im a lil trout

mingyu: a lil emo trout

me: why are you messaging me anyway?

mingyu: wow such offend

me: no wait

me: i mean like aren't you in class

mingyu: yeah but im subtle and sneaky

me: be careful you dont get caught with your phone

mingyu: ur cute when ur worrying abt me like that aw

And then all of a sudden Wonwoo felt his ears heating up and the butterflies feeling like they were moving up into his throat and then into his brain.

me: cute?

mingyu: fuck wait fuck no i didnt mean cute haha no lmao

me: okay then

mingyu: shitbshit mr choi is comign over gotta bLast ttyl

me: bye

mingyu: oh and wonuuu

me: ??

mingyu: get well soon!!!!!!!!

Wonwoo dropped his phone onto his bed next to him and resumed his face-in pillow position again, sighing loudly into the star-patterned cotton pillowcase. What was it about Mingyu that made him feel so strange? Maybe 'plantbean' was right and he did have a crush after all-

No. There was no way that was happening. Mingyu was younger than him, and all the girls seemed to like him and Wonwoo was a guy, for god's sakes. It was all confusing, and Wonwoo shut his eyes into his pillow, expecting the darkness of his eyelids, but all he could see was his younger friend's smiling face.

Fuck it.

Wonwoo picked up his phone again, opening the tumblr app and clicking on messenger before typing in a message.

starboy96: you were right

starboy96: i think i do like that guy

GUYS IT HAPPENED FINALLY (not the realising part bc of course dense! oblivious! meanie is the best meanie) bUT YEAH!!! AND THANKS SO MUCH FOR 12K ILY ALL SO MUCH

also, cheeky self promo but please check out my new book Rivalry - Yadong if you like gay dancing lov-hate bby infinite rap line i'm super proud of it and it would be raD AF if you read it!!!!

also as ever imma promo my ig @ molly.trbl (yes bc dean) and i dont have kik anymore i had 2 delete so if you want to talk to me message me on my ig or on the message thingy on here or my twitter @ etherealboo

peace out yall and thanks,,, lov mollo