Prayers

"Can someone please explain to me what the hell my role is in all of this?" Rose glares at us with cold, dark eyes. "We need you to help set up the dining hall for breakfast. Ever since Maria got sent to the Nature department, we've been short on help," David smiles politely at Rose and hands her a large tray of silverware. "I hate this stupid switch-up," she whispers as she stomps away, her copper hair bouncing with every step. As she leaves, I hear a loud crash from the kitchen. "Sorry!" A girl shouts.
"She's got an awful temper for such a talented girl," David remarks as he turns to me. I smirk at the word talented. "Well, she is the daughter of a witch. We all know those things have anger problems." David grins, and suddenly embraces me in a hug that nearly breaks my spine in two. "Ow!" He laughs and pats me on the back. "Oh, how you remind me of your father." I laugh nervously and run my hand through my wavy hair. I would prefer if he didn't bring up my father, but I never say anything. Wouldn't want to hurt the old man's feelings.
Uncle David's hazel eyes squint at something in the distance, causing fine wrinkles to reveal themselves. "Hey! Hey, you! Get back here this instant young man!" I glance over and see Riley running around in nothing but a bed sheet. I shake my head in disbelief and find myself smiling at his foolishness. Good old Riley, always down to entertain. My uncle continues to chase him around and I decide that I must take charge. "Okay, okay. Enough guys, everyone find a seat and get ready for the morning announcements." At my command, everyone grows silent and takes their seats in the dining hall. "Uncle, would you please lead us in prayer?" David smiles and makes his way to the seat beside me. "Of course. Let us now bow our heads in prayer to our Lord, our savior, our reason for living..." I close my eyes and pray along, silently hoping that what I see today will not leave me scarred for life.