Aniki

A/N: DISCLAIMER: I do not own Inuyasha, nor do I claim to. I also do not own any of these characters, they belong to Rumiko Takahashi. Please enjoy :)

The moonless sky glittered with millions of stars, trying in vain to make up for the loss of moonlight. The specks of brilliance illuminated the green belt of forest below. Smoke floated up from the forest, signaling the location of a campsite. Three teenagers and what appeared to be a young child and cat were seated around the campfire, eating and chatting aimlessly.

“Inuyasha, come down here and eat!” one of the teenage females shouted skyward. When the black haired teen received no response, she approached one of the ancient trees and peered into the branches. Inuyasha, perched on a thick branch of the tree, glared up at the sky with miffed obsidian eyes.

“I’m not hungry,” the red clad boy grumbled. The girl scowled up at him, but just as quick as it appeared, it disappeared behind a look of mischief.

“Fine, I’ll give Shippo your share of ramen,” she shrugged, turning away from the sullking teen. The uniformed girl picked up a cup of steaming noodles and, as she was handing to the young child, Shippo, had it snatched from her hands. Inuyasha crouched in front of the fire, devouring his dinner. The brown-eyed girl smiled softly before returning to her spot around the fire.

***

Kagome awoke with a start, sitting up quickly and struggling out of her sleeping bag.

“Inuyasha, what’s going on?”

“There’s a youkai (demon) in the forest and it’s headed our way,” he responded, palm resting on the Tetsusaiga (Tet-sigh-ga).

“Kirara!” Sango called to the monstrous demon cat, hefting the Hiraikotsu onto her shoulder. Trees crashed to the ground as the hostile youkai rampaged through the forest, chasing after the Shikon Jewel Fragment in sensed.

“Inuyasha, come on! We can’t fight!” Kagome shouted, approaching Kirara and reaching for her raven haired friend. It was still night. Inuyasha was still human and defenceless without the ability to use the Tetsusaiga. Inuyasha gazed towards the forest and with a frustrated growl, sprinted towards Kirara. A blood-curdling roar rang through the clearing, freezing the group on the spot. The youkai had the scaly body of a snake, the face and torso of a human, and eight spider legs. In other words, frightening.

“Sango, stay with Kagome,” Inuyasha ordered.

“Inuyasha, the moon-”

“We can survive ‘till morning,” he interrupted. The youkai made a choking noise that the teens assumed was a laugh.

“Foolish mortals! I will take pleasure in ripping your skin from your body!” it cackled again. Miroku gripped the beads that wrapped around his right arm, ready to suck the youkai into his Wind Tunnel.

“Miroku, stop!” Sango shouted, gesturing to the poisonous insects that now swarmed around the youkai. The monk cursed under his breath, re-positioning the beads. The youkai lunged forward, a beam of blinding blue energy shooting from its mouth. The beam hit Inuyasha square in the chest, throwing him into the forest.

“Inuyasha!” Kagome cried, giving chase to the surely injured boy. Sango flung Hiraikotsu at the youkai, effectively slicing it in half. They too, with Shippo trailing behind, hastily chased after Kagome to help in the search for Inuyasha. The raven haired girl raced toward the area she had seen Inuyasha tossed into, calling out for him.