Moving Day

Well, today is moving day. The bags and boxes are packed neatly, divided between two moving trucks, and a car. One never really realizes just how much stuff they possess, until they begin the moving process. It's actually kind of exciting, Melanie thinks to herself. You find things that have long been forgotten. Emotions run high when you find that old letter she wrote you, telling you she loved you for the first time. And who can forget that first time spent away, when you find the old Do Not Disturb sign you stole from the hotel, as a reminder.

The movers have already left, leaving Melanie standing in front of the house that was no longer theirs. It was sad, really. So many memories come flooding in at that moment. She remembered when they first came and looked at this house. They had walked through the door, and knew, without a shadow of a doubt, this was THEIR house. They were so happy. The first party, where friends and family came to celebrate the new house. The first fight they had, when Mel had slept on the couch, for all of 15 minutes, before Sharon came in the living room, apologizing, and begging her to come to bed. The last fight they had, when Sharon informed her it was over. This last memory still brought the sting of unwanted tears to her eyes. 

Mel shook her head, trying to clear her thoughts. It worked, almost. After 9 years of calling this home, she was now embarking on a whole new adventure in her life. After Sharon's revelation, she had briefly thought she would die. That, of course, did not last long. It sucked, hurt something awful, and she hated every second of it, but it was not a life threatening condition. She knew she would cope, deal, and move on. Her phone ringing snaps her back to reality. There was only one person it could be. Only one person who would be calling her today.

"Hey Dana." 

"How are you? Where are you? Have you left yet? Quit sulking and get your butt here." Dana was a talker. It didn't bother Mel. Melanie was very quite, and it was always nice to have someone else fill the silence's that she left in her wake. When she had told Dana about what was happening, Dana had given her the idea to do what she was now doing.

Dana lived across town, in a very nice condo, near the water. She hadn't been the best of a friend to Dana, over the years, being caught up in her own life, but Dana had never swayed. Whenever Mel needed her, she was right there. There was an open apartment where she was living, and she had helped Mel with the purchase of it. 

"I'm leaving now. The movers are on there way, and I'm about to head over myself. Thanks again for helping, with everything." 

"You know I don't mind. Now come on."

They said there goodbyes, and there was nothing left to do, but get in the car, and drive away. Pulling away, she got lost in thought. For the millionth time, she asked herself what had went wrong. She had been agonizing over this question since Sharon had announced the end of their relationship. Sharon could not give her a concrete reason, only a bunch of half cocked excuses that had nothing to do with the situation at hand. Mel had repeatedly asked if there was someone else, and Sharon had vehemently denied it. Mel had her own suspicions. 

For whatever reason, Sharon no longer wanted her. For twelve years, Sharon had done nothing but confess her love to Mel. It had actually come out of nowhere. She had no idea that anything was wrong, especially wrong enough to bring an end to them. Sharon had left that night, and only came back to get her stuff. They had lawyers and real estate agents taking care of the sale of the house. She didn't even know where Sharon was staying. In the course of two months, everything that Melanie had held dear, and relied on, was no more. 

She tried to look at the bright side. There were so many things that could be done now. So many things that were not open before all of this happened. Living was going to get done. Good things were going to come out of the heartbreak and tragedy that was her life right at this moment. Looking ahead was the only process that was making this bearable. 

It was almost like her life had been spent on auto pilot up until now. Never really living, only existing. The prospects were actually quite exciting. Having spent the better part of her adult life in a relationship, she was bound and determined that now, at 35, she would finally be living for herself. That was all that mattered now.