Second

The second time I ran was a bit different from the first. The first time, I ran for Papa, Mama, and my little brother, Kale. This time I ran because the Knights had come. They killed Papa and took Mama away. Kale and I hid at Alrisa's until our house had finished burning. Because Knights ride dragons, and if a dragon burns down your house, it's a pretty good sign that you should move because you can't come back. If anyone tries to rebuild there within a year, they are killed. So the second time I ran, I ran because my family was marked for death.

I was fourteen then. Kale was nine. I know you're calculating in your head about it. Yes, I was five when I went to retrieve Alrisa from her home so she could deliver Kale. You must be thinking, 'That's stupid/ crazy/ impossible.' Well considering I had been visiting Alrisa's home since she delivered me, I don't think it's too much of a stretch.

From this time forward, Knights were looking for us. There was a kill order on my family, or at least, the men in my family. Mama was probably taken to the palace to be a slave and if caught, I probably would be too. I don't know what Papa did, but the Knights sure didn't like it. So, yes the second time I ran, was to protect our future. I didn't want to be a slave, and I certainly didn't want Kale to die at such a young age. So we ran. For a long time. Three years. People who helped us along the way didn't know us from Adam, or they would have contacted the Knights immediately. We couldn't be caught. We travelled from Brintz to Cercit, across the kingdom of Abernat, until we reached the border of  Ceijin.