8- From Dreams To Nightmares

With her parents' approval, Maine jumped in a car with RJ and drove off to their destination.

The beach was a two hour drive and Maine took the chance to cross off another item on her list.

Go on a roadtrip together.

Maine took photos and videos of their trip while RJ drove. They shared stories and laughed at each other's jokes like old friends.

Maine liked that RJ was very kind and chivalrous and that he never made her feel like she was sick. Except for those times when he had to check her for routine stuff like her temperature, blood pressure and the like, he was really just there to be her friend.

RJ learned that Maine was very fun to be with. She always had something up her sleeve to amuse him. Not that she had to do anything else because for RJ just being with her, seeing her beautiful smile and hearing her contagious laughter are more than enough to amaze him.

Just as quickly as Maine got in the car, she sprung out of it like a horse to a gunshot in the races when they pulled up in front of the beach resort.

Maine aimed straight for the ocean while RJ hastily followed, picking up the sandals she tossed from her feet.

He stopped only a few feet away where she stood in her yellow sundress with arms opened wide as she faced the ocean. Her eyes were closed while her hair floated freely with the breeze as the morning sun kissed her olive skin. She dug her feet in the sand, letting the sand seep between her toes and sighed contentedly.

She was such an amazing vision to behold. RJ quietly stood behind and took her picture before joining her.

Maine faced him with a smile and took his hand. She locked her fingers between his and held his hand tight.

"This is heaven!" Maine beamed. "Thank you so much for bringing me here, RJ."

"Are you happy, Miss Maine?" RJ asked sincerely.

"Are you seriously asking me that? I am euphoric!" She laughed. "Thanks to you." Maine said as she looked deep into his eyes.

For a few seconds, they stood facing each other on the white sand, holding hands, fingers intertwined, gazing into each other's eyes, smiling at the other while the waves calmly rolled in the background and it was perfect, like a beautiful dream.

RJ blushed and looked down then excused himself to get the basket in the car for their picnic.

He left Maine and returned shortly to spread the mat on the sand and set up a big umbrella to give them some shade.

They sat on the mat and ate their breakfast, giggling, chatting and feeding each other.

It would appear to anyone who saw them that RJ and Maine were a normal happy couple, deeply inlove with each other, spending a day at the beach.

After they ate, RJ was stunned when Maine stood up and started taking her dress off in front of him.

He sat frozen, staring up at her as his ears and cheeks turned bright red.

"Miss Maine!" He gasped.

She looked down at him in her black two piece bikini and smiled. "Come on, Tans. Let's swim!"

"Uhm..." RJ had to swallow thickly to clear the lump on his throat. "Susunod ako, Miss Maine. Liligpit ko lang yung ibang pagkain baka magutom ka mamaya."

"Okay. Ikaw bahala." Maine shrugged and started running to the water then looked over her shoulder. "Don't take too long, okay?"

He said okay then watched her run straight to the water and take a dip. He smiled as he quickly put the leftover food in the basket but when he looked up again, Maine was gone.

RJ jolted up and sprinted to the shore, shed off his shirt and shoes then jumped in the water.

He frantically searched for Maine and yelled her name but there was no answer of any sign of her.

Suddenly their dreamy day turned into a nightmare and RJ felt helpless.

"Maaaaine!!!" He shouted over the waves as fear started to engulf him.

A few seconds later, she surfaced, only a few feet away, struggling to stay afloat and gasping for air.

RJ, being a strong swimmer, reached her almost immediately and rescued her. He swam with her to the shore then carried her to the picnic mat.

She wasn't unconscious, just in shock as she curled up in his arms.

RJ grabbed a towel and wrapped it over Maine as he hugged her and let her snuggle on his chest, sobbing and shivering.

He pulled her closer and leaned his cheek on her head as he whispered. "It's okay. You'll be alright, Miss Maine. I'm here. I'll always be here for you."