1. what we cannot control will surely destroy us

A/N: Thaknyou to everyone for you support with Bella over the past few months, I hope you enjoy the first chapter of her fic! Special shout out to Leila and Moony (yourpalmoony) for being there to help me edit, I wouldn't have been able to finish it without either of you.  

~~~~

The Whittemore siblings' ride to school was usually silent. But today, it was particularly silent. The air was charged, as if at any moment the silence would burst, and it made Bella slightly uncomfortable. She'd chalk it up to first day nerves, but her brother never got nervous. Especially not about school. No, this was different.

Turning to look at Jackson, Bella quickly scanned her fraternal twin's expression. The slight smirk, the laser focused concentration. He was excited, exhilarated would be a better word.

Jackson had a lot going for him within the walls of Beacon Hills High school. Bella wasn't exactly unpopular either, but Jackson was the real king-pin. He had the money, the girlfriend, the car and the spot on the coveted lacrosse team. So him being fired up about returning after winter break wasn't a long shot.

However, Bella hated to admit it, but sometimes his passion for being the best freaked her out. At least recently it did. When he was in that state he was a different person - someone willing to do anything to succeed.

It was like riding in the Porsche with a live grenade in the driver's seat. One wrong bump and the whole thing would blow up in her face.

The car's engine revved, pulling Bella from her thoughts. They had arrived. Butterflies lurched in her stomach when she saw the crowds of teens filing into the school. She stopped, tugging down the mirrors to make sure her lipgloss hadn't strayed or a rogue eyelash had found its way onto its cheek. She took a deep breath after confirming everything was perfect. Taking a final moment to tighten her ponytail, she stepped out of the walking status symbol, also known as Jackson's car.

Not bothering to take a second glance at his sister, Jackson swung open the car door, striking a student trying to jam his bike into the rack next to the parking lot.

Bella vaguely recognised him, trying to place his crooked jaw, sandy skin and shaggy hair. They must've had some classes together, but Bella couldn't remember his name. He had a lacrosse stick coming poking out of his backpack - he must've been trying out. "Good luck with that..." She thought to herself.

Jackson stared down the boy with displeasure. "Dude, watch the paint job" He spat, his blue eyes not leaving the stranger for a moment.

The tension was only broken with one of Jackson's lacrosse buddies calling him away. As he strode away, Bella tried not to make eye contact with the unfamiliar student as she slipped away. She couldn't tell if it made things more or less awkward.

Bella's blonde ponytail bobbed in time with her clickety-clacking high-heels, her hand instinctively reaching towards her pocket to pull out her phone. She was meant to meet Lydia somewhere in the parking lot so they could walk in together. However, Lydia was nowhere to be seen.

Before her manicured fingers could hit send on her "where the hell are you?" text, she saw a flash of strawberry blonde out of the corner of her eye.

"Those shoes are to die for" Lydia remarked, greeting her friend with a magnetic smile.

"They'd better be, they cost a hell of a lot," Bella replied, raising her brows. "But you have to tell me where you got that skirt, now that is cute" She continued, pointing to her friends plaid ensemble.