Elimination

Part I: Selection

 I feel like this copies The Hunger Games too much. It is a little different though. Comment if I should continue anyways.

………………………………………………………………………………………

Annually the leaders of my corrupt government make a selection. They choose one person from each city to compete in a series of challenges to see which city is the best. If they lose, the competitors, who must be at least sixteen, are killed off due to the fact that they shamed their own city. One person will be eliminated after each round. The worst at the particular event will be executed. Five people compete, only one lives past the competitions. Rules are simple. There are none. Also, the winner gets one wish.

~

I fix my short, dirty blonde hair as I prepare for The Selection. The mayor of my city is holding the annual meeting to choose a victim to compete in the competitions. I throw on my best blue jeans and lucky t-shirt as I rush out the front door to my puny apartment. If you get caught running late to the ceremony, you get executed for deserting. I sprinted to the town square to see who was chosen this year.

“Greetings everyone! I know you all are very busy so I will choose quick and let all of you be on your way,” the mayor said.

The mayor of the city pulled out a large, glass bowl filled with minuscule sheets of paper. He dug inside of it and pulled out a name. The suspense almost killed me. I had just turned sixteen so this was the first time I had done this.

He called “Adam Young,” and my stomach lurched forward. Beginner’s luck. I almost died of a heart attack right there. Too bad I wasn’t so lucky. My t-shirt had failed me. The crowd sighed with relief and walked away not caring about who was selected.

I am actually partially glad I was chosen. I am probably the only person in the city that no one loves. My entire family died in a house fire last year. I miss my sister, mom, and dad, but nothing can bring them back. NOTHING. At least no one will miss me when I go.

I would love the wish though. I know exactly what I’d wish for. I begin preparations for the competition which is in only three days. I must prepare for all four events.

The events are random so no one can really prepare for them. However, a mental and physical one is always involved. I have trained all my life for both. I was valedictorian when I graduated high school and did many sports including ones I failed at. I feel confident that I have a chance until I remember that I belonged to the poorest, weakest, and dumbest city in the country.

I pack my bags early and await the three day period to come to an end.