Chapter 1

Two Weeks In The Future

Her smile did not betray her rage, a necessary sacrifice to make. The internal conflict was destroying her, and she needed to stop thinking. She kept thinking and thinking about the turmoil she had faced in the past two weeks, wondering of the morality of her own choices. She needed sleep, but the sound of footsteps kept her awake. They were pounding, and caused her breath to hitch. The closet was so small, too small for both of them, yet they had to make it work. Being stuck in a closet with her was ironic, yet she couldn't voice that. Furniture was being thrown around violently. Once they were gone, they needed to run to the storm cellar. It was the only safe place. The only safe place. Brown eyes looked up at quiet laughter and the face they belonged to scrunched up, cringing, knowing the other girl was unstable. Just their luck, though. They were stuck with each other, so they had to try to make it work.

Toni Ann Capcon was laying on a dusty twin bed, staring at the ceiling. Her face was tear stained. This was not her room as she wanted it to be. It was not protected by moutains, rivers, and pine trees, but was left open to miles of dust. Her name was Capcon now. Capcon.