Research

"Come in", I replied to the knock at my door. The maids scurried over pulling a tray of food and my herbal tea. You may not know this but many types of food can be grown here without the sunlight. I think the light of three moons is more than enough for these plants. Even from my room I could see stretches of land off to the south side with patches of carrots, bean sprouts, tomatoes, mushrooms, chicory that make most of our salads and so on. I sipped on tea while I collected my thoughts. 

                For one i needed to figure how that child was able talk to me telepathically. It was impossible as no story in history had even hinted at the existence of communication out of a marital connection. I walked out of the room heading towards the library. I could feel the night guards shadows flowing along my steps. We the night keepers can travel in our own shadows but as our vision was clear we could not see the shadow and I was the only exception to this rule.

              I was born with the ability of sensing every night guard shadow in any dimension that we are able to travel to including our own. This was one of the key powers for a good ruler but not every royal had this power. My great grandmother was said to have it during her reign of the bronze age and it skipped about two generations until it was found in me.  I pulled open the huge double doors that lead to the library. It was  long corridor that went on for miles with shelves of books piled on both sides to more than 100 feet. Movable ladders were placed at random on the shelves. 

          " T", I said and the marble floors of the corridor shifted under me and took me along with it at full speed till we reached the section of books that matched my command. I climbed on the ladders and mumbled the world telepathy and it moved sideways and shot upwards bringing in to view a few books. The floors and the ladders did not move with either technology or magic but with the ability of our minds to be able to control objects. Teleporting was not an option as it was illegal in our dimension unless you had special authorization. It has not been in use for so many generations that the art was eventually forgotten and only the royals and their elite guards knew them. Even we were sworn into secrecy to not share this art. I finally found myself a table and started to read through the books.

               Everything I read was something i had already known. The only thing that was even close to what i was trying to search for consisted of only two sentences-There are myths that some telepathic communication can take place between two royals even before they mate as their souls are entwined together. Probability of such an event has never been accounted for.  I pulled all the books together and it floated in air and finally went back to their places on the shelves. Oh shoot! I thought looking at the clock,I was late for my classes.

                I reached back to my room i saw the portal glowing. I knew that for one that the baby was not a royal  and that a human can not be my soul mate as they have an average life time of eighty and we Nighters have an average life time of a thousand years. I sighed and pulled away the temptations of jumping in to the portal when suddenly an alarm  screeched through the palace. I ran to my balcony and saw all the army Nighters shadows flying out of the palace. The palace shook and trembled slowly sinking in to the ground and I quickly backed in to my room. The doors swing open and i see my two guards Lucas and Luke enter.

            "My lady, Night is under attack and the queen has sunk us to ground for a lock down. You are to assemble at the throne room immediately". I watched the shadows moving along the corridor in all direction from the open door of my room. I nod to he guards, pull myself into my shadow and dart towards the throne room.