Chapter One

I sit up from the air mattress I have been forced to sleep on; I don't even really remember waking up, I just remember I felt like I couldn't breathe. Propping myself up I move my jet black hair aside, looking at my star shaped birthmark. Sighing I brush my hair back in place, hearing my foster mom approaching the garage door. She locks it behind her.

"Well if it isn't ungodly Valerie. So do you finally decide not to be "ungodly" or are you going to continue to defy God's will," she asked with a hint of challenge in her voice. I roll my eyes at her. Slightly irritated that she is still mad at me for standing up for myself.
Trying not to lash out, I still replied,"only if you had wings you'd be an angel... Or a nasty ass dragon".

"What?!?'' She yelled in my face. Without warning she threw me against the wall. Not knowing what else to do, I fight for consciousness and pray my head isn't bleeding. She sneers at me with cold, steel eyes.

Crash

I look up at my 17 year old foster brother, Matthew, who busted the garage door down. He throws my foster mom across the room, knocking her out cold. Seeing him makes my stomach flip. With wide eyes, he sees she is dead. He killed his mom.

Quickly, he packs my bag. Before I got the chance to ask what he was doing he said, "Valerie we need to leave now before my dad gets here".

"Where do you plan on going?"

"As far away as possible. I plan on taking care of you for as long as I need to, Valerie. The last thing that needs to happen is the government catching you..."

-- A/N --

If you have read this god-awful story before, you can tell I have tried to make it flow more smoothly. I was actually surprised how bad it was before I started editing. And if you have not read it before, you would never know why I actually wanted to take a blow torch to this.