Alex

Dear Evelyn,

our time together was short, but it was the best time of my life.

 I wish it had been the same for you.

 __________________

* * * * *

   I stared at the door in front of me. For some reason, I felt my feet grow heavier the closer I had walked to my destination. I swallowed, pulling a neatly folded paper out of my pocket and opening it to reread the details inside. Today was my second year in college, but the nerves still twisted inside my stomach just like every other first day of a new school year.

Alex Greyson
DOB: 02/16/1997
Building 3
Room 3207
Tower - Arts
Schedule -

   The rest was the basic information about where I was and what I would be doing. I took a deep breath, raising a shaky fist to knock on the door.
 One,
 two,
 three,
 four.

   I heard shuffling inside, and I folded the paper to slide back into my pocket while taking out the room key. The door opened, and I saw a boy stare in confusion. I bit my lip, clearing my throat. "Um...3207?" I asked awkwardly, making him start to smile. "Alex?" He asked in response, and I nodded slowly. "Yeah..." He pulled the door back, taking a step backward to let me inside. I kept my gaze on the floor in front of me as I walked to the side of the room that wasn't occupied.

  It was like the college tried to make its own upgrade every year, leaving all the new years in even more awe. These rooms looked more spacious; they even added small closets. At least the shower room was down the hall. I propped my suitcase against the bed and slid my bag off my shoulder. It landed on the bed softly, and I started arranging my area. I could feel a presence, but I tried putting my focus on the task in front of me.

   I finished redecorating everything, but by the time I was finished, I found out that almost an hour had passed. A sigh escaped my lips, thinking about how I fixed and almost rearranged everything. When I looked at the other side of the room, I found my new roommate. He was asleep on his stomach, his closed laptop next to him on the drawer. His shirt must've pulled up at some point, revealing the skin on his lower back. I couldn't tell if I was staring, but I moved my attention to the window behind my bed.

   I saw crowds of people trying to move as quickly as possible to their own destinations. I could tell from the anxious expressions of freshmen and the ones of stress from the sophomores. I lowered myself to the edge of my bed, the exhaustion from traveling slowly taking over. I took out my phone, turning it on and replying to the past messages.

  Dad: Did you make it on time?
  Carol: Good luck today, make sure to get breakfast!

I ignored that one.

  Makenzie: Are you there yet?
  Dylan: Where are u ??

A small smile grew when I saw my friend's text.

  To: Dad
 Yeah, I survived being trampled

  To: Carol
 Thanks, I will.

  To: Makenzie
 Yes ma'am

  To: Dylan
 In my room..?

    I waited for their replies, turning my phone off and moving my body farther onto the bed until I was leaning against the wall. At some point my attention shamingly moved back to the other side of the room. He had dark brown hair that barely reached the middle of his neck, a healthy slight tan, and a thin average build. He was wearing blue jeans and a white shirt, still wearing black converse on his feet even in bed. I could only assume he didn't mean to fall asleep. My phone vibrated, and I saw that Dylan messaged me back first.

  Dylan: WHERE'S YOUR ROOM THOUGH
 DUDE
 IT'S OUR SECOND YEAR AND I GOT LOST AGAIN

His messages only continued, amusing me further. 

  Dylan: At least a girl found me though
 Damn it
 Is she laughing at me??

   I tried responding.

  To: Dylan
 Third floor dude
 I DUCKING KNEW IT LMAO
 *Fucking. Ugh
 A girl?
 Hopefully not??

  Dylan: I'm gonna find you
 Lol wait
 Not like that? It depends
 Anyway
 Oh I think she's showing me
 WAIT I WILL FIND YOU
 SHIT

   I couldn't help myself, I accidentally started to laugh out loud. 

To: Dylan
Stalker? Murderer?
Woah wait
Don't come here if it's gonna get messy
???