Chapter One; Life at a Glance

Dean Winchester and Castiel Novak were husbands living happily in Los Angeles, California. Each twenty five and married to one another for just over four years, having gotten married when they were twenty one. They had been dating since their sophomore year before. More than happy with one another. They had a home in the suburbs of town. It wasn't largest but wasn't the smallest. Castiel decorated it happily for him and Dean. He chose a more neutral color scheme deciding it was calming for their home and Dean couldn't help but agree.

Dean worked as a mechanic for his Uncle Bobby, matter of fact he had worked for his Uncle ever since he turned sixteen. Sure the job didn't pay the most, but it was definitely something he adored to do. He was fascinated by vehicles and mesmerized by their inner workings. He also loved the fact he was able to help people, and by fixing cars he did just that.

Since working as a mechanic wasn't a full time job for him, his own choosing, Dean would often take shifts at a neighboring diner referred to as the Roadhouse. The building was run by his Aunt Ellen and her daughter Jo and they were more than happy to have Dean around to bus tables on busy nights and Dean was more than happy to do it, especially since it gave him the chance to get to know regulars. He was happy with his life.

Castiel was different, definitely not average and more or less an introvert especially throughout high school. So it was a definite surprise when he started to express the desire to join the Navy. Dean spoke to him for nearly an hour trying to convince him that this was just a spur of the moment type of thing but Castiel had none of it. The days carried on and Castiel had increased his workout schedule.The days turned to weeks and soon to months. And by this time, one year after his initial conversation with Dean of joining and becoming a Navy Seal and many conversations after to make sure this was what he wanted, Castiel made the final decision to enroll.

Dean smiled and hugged Castiel tight at the time but later after Castiel returned to his home to inform his family Dean realized he was hurt by this. Beyond hurt really... all he wanted in life was to be happy with Castiel. He just wanted to live with Castiel by his side, rather than overseas and the ability to see him in person only every few months. He sighed and had thought for a long time before coming to terms and thinking, 'Castiel will be happy. This is what he wants. I need to be happy for him.' And once Dean got this in his head it was definitely much easier to go along with everything that was happening.

Castiel met with a recruiter the following week, answering many questions and clarifying a lot. At this point this solidified Castiel's want to go into the Navy even more. He filled out his application and sent it in. He was later processed, checked for ailments and his physical shape, both checked out. He also was due to take academic examinations as well as to do a few drill tests. Castiel was then accepted to train as a Navy Seal.

Due to Dean and Castiel's close location to one of the Naval bases, it being located in San Diego, Dean was able to drive Castiel from their home is Los Angeles to the training center and you better bet he was hand in hand with his boyfriend the entire drive. Gabriel, Castiel's brother even accompanied them on the drive down and of course Gabriel forced Castiel to have one last cherry lollipop on the way saying something about the fact that they won't have any of this kind of stuff and he wouldn't be able to survive. Castiel of course willingly took it popping it into his mouth.

They got to the base and stepped out of the car. Gabriel was first to say his goodbye, giving his younger brother a tight hug holding on for a few moments. "Gonna miss you Cassie.." He had mumbled before pulling away and going back to the car, now sitting in the passenger seat since Castiel wouldn't be using it.

Dean would argue this if he had been confronted about it but there was no doubt he had shed a few tears as he looked from the ground meeting the eyes of Castiel. He didn't say anything as he hugged him suddenly. Castiel whispered into Dean's ear while they hugged, "I'll always be back..."