<<CHAPTER ONE>>

August 17th, 4:45 am

     "Noria!" Mom calls from downstairs getting impatient, "We have to go!"

      I sigh, that's the sixth time in the last ten minutes. I take a breath before grabbing my bag and suitcase looking back at my room. I have lived in this room for the past eighteen years of my life. I turn off the lights leaving an empty room with a bed and wardrobe, ready to face my new life.

    I make my way downstairs to face my impatient but loving mother. In all honesty she's only impatient because she's my loving mother but it gets to be too much at times. When she sees me with my bag that’s when the tears start forming. I take a deep breath and turn away from her, refusing to watch her cry. It's too.. What's the word for it? Cheesy? No.  Classic? Not that either.. This is going to be a rough career. Clique? Maybe that’s the word.  When I turn back to my weeping mother I hold a straight, stern face and try to hide my wobbly breath, “Mom, you said we have to go. Can we go?”  I will not, I repeat WILL not show any signs of being nervous. Even if I totally am.

She wipes her eyes and draws a shaky breath and nods grabbing her jacket and car keys. “Have you got everything? I hope you have… if not I can mail it up to you.” She takes my suitcase and carries it to the car and shoving it in the backseat with my other bags.

I nod before she walks out of the house and take a glance of myself in the mirror  looking at my reflection. I'm wearing a soft blue and red flannel on top of a plain white tank top  with jeans and my high top Vans. My soft chestnut brown hair pulled back into a high ponytail. I lick my chapped lips as I walk out the door to the home I've grown up in. It's time to move on now Noria.

I get into the car where my Mom waits for me. To take you to a place she really doesn’t approve of. She doesn’t mind me continuing my education. Hell any parent wants that for their eighteen year old daughter, it's metal tubes that could crash at any moment that she doesn't approve of; an airplane.  You’re going to Columbia University Nortia, she knows that. She can deal with her daughter being on a plane for an hour and a half.

Yes Columbia University.  It isn't the best school in the country but not even the best authors get the absolute best education. Hell, J.K. Rowling went to University of Execute. A public university. That’s a step down from Columbia in my opinion.  

“Noria?”

My head snaps up and I look at her and I see her glancing at me from the driver's seat. Still paying attention to traffic. I give her a confused look before mumbling, “y-yeah..?”

She comes to a slow break at a stop light, abiding Michigan's traffic laws. Hell any state's laws. Then turns to me with a serious look on her face, “Are you ready for this?”

I scoff, “Mom, please. I’ve been waiting my entire life for this moment. I know I'm not going to major something you would prefer-”

She nods quickly and exclaims, “Exactly my point Noria. You should major in business or medicine. Not creative writing.” Mom and I are pretty close, but that's mostly because we tell the truth. Nothing more nothing less. I’d seen this coming. She’s always told me she thinks the arts- Music, Performing, Art, Writing- are a waste of time. Just something to pass the time. How wrong can she be though? That's why I want to- have to prove her wrong. Yet, even though she thinks this she still shows that she loves me even though she doesn't approve in my choice of work. Hell it isn't about approving its about agreeing in this family.