Chapter 3

The remaining dhwafs of the company and I planned to leave for Erebor in the next week. This was all happening so fast that I didn't have much time after the meeting to mourn over my uncle and brother's deaths. There were many things to be done before I left my tiny town in the Blue Mountains. 

I had only dreamed of going beyond the ranges and actually seeing the isolated peak of the Lonely Mountain with my own eyes, after being brought up along with every other dhwarf stories and songs of the old days of wealth and plenty, where everyone lived in peace and harmony. Not a single mention that the line of Durin will be left to me, a young, dhwarf girl. 

The day had finally come where the company and I were set to depart to The Shire to ask Bilbo to come with us on this one last adventure. Biblo had left the day after the funeral and had headed back home to Bag End to finally be able to sit back in his armchair and read his books. The ponies were set up and everyone from the vilage had come to bid us farewell. I gazed hungrily out of the window in my room, which looked out over the rolling green hills, leading into the unknown world. My brothers and I always used to look out of this exact window every night before they left, and we'd make up stories of the adventures that we'd go on together, not knowing that their first adventure was also their last. A soft knock at the door woke me from my daydream. The wooden door slowly creeked open to reveal my mother. Only, it wasn't my mother, just the shell of her. Her life and soul had been bottled up down deep in her heart and she had no intention of unleashing it anytime soon. She was still all dressed in black and her blonde hair rippled down her left shoulder, forming into a boring, standard braid. Her hair used to be like spun gold, each strand of it was like one of the sun's rays itself. But it wasn't her hair that caught peoples attention. Her laugh and contagious smile could warm your heart on the coldest night. Saying that her smile lit the room was an understatement. Her deep, brown eyes sparkled continuosly at everyone and everything she met. Now, in as little as a month, her old self was lost and left a ghost of what she is now. 

"Daughter, my beautiful daughter of mine." She started, taking small steps foward, " My only child" Her face turned sharply away from mine so as not to see her tears fall. I walked up to her and held her, scared of breaking her weak, fragile body from my arms. Her body tensed up at being held from my hard grip, but she finally broke down and gave in. It felt like forever to us, just mother and daughter letting out everything we'd been holding back for the past few weeks. But time was against me and I knew I was holding up the company. I reluctantly let go of my mothers waist and surveyed her one last time, knowing that I may not see her again. Her porcelin face was now streaked with hot, salty tears, quivering at her thin lips. Her brown eyes were dark, almost black as she stared back at me. 

"Goodbye mother. I will always think of you every waking second." I stumbled through every word, trying not to break down. I attempted a weak smile and rushed out of the room before she could see the affect she had on me. I took a deep, shaky breath and walked outside to the roaring wind that bit the tears on my face. I gave a nod to Balin, signaling that I was ready to leave the only place I'd called home my whole life. I mounted my pony in one swift motion and took one last glance around the town that I had grown up in. I gave Gale a soft kick to his hairy sides to get him going. I lead the way down the muddy path that lead to the entrace and exit of the town square, never daring to go further until now. As Gale trotted up to the wooden arc, he came to a halt. He was probably also nervous about leaving the safety of the Blue Mountains and into the wilderness. I looked back to my house and saw a lone figure in black facing the wind towards the company and I. I shook my head, trying not to let the tears run free again. As Gale started to walk again, we passed three mounds of earth that had just started to grow small blades of grass. I smiled, this time a sincere one. 

"I promise you Kili, Fili and Uncle Thorin, I will make you proud " I whispered quietly to Gale, who nodded his head in agreement, as we rode away towards the Shire.