Chapter 1

I woke up to an acute burning sensation in my chest

I woke up to an acute burning sensation in my chest. I tried to move my arm in order to soothe it by rubbing against it but my arm chose to not comply with me. It was after a few seconds that I opened my eyes only to close them again. It was way too bright and hot. It was then that my mind registered the pain. I hurt. Everywhere. Tears formed against the back of my eyelids but I gritted my teeth against it. I tried to push the pain against the back of mind but it was too much. I swallowed or at least tried to because my throat felt scratchy. I opened my eyes again, determined to get myself help. I registered that I was lying on the ground. There was smoke and fire everywhere. I could make out tall trees surrounding me. I was at a ...clearing, then? Yeah, it was a clearing. From the corner of my eyes, I saw fire. Burning bodies. The skin melting off the bones. I closed my eyes against the horrific sight. I tried to remember what happened but my mind drew up a blank. I tried to get up but the pain was too much. The last thing that I remember before passing out is the sound of sirens at a distance- Help. Thank God.

Then there was darkness all over.

I woke up again. I was lying on something soft. A bed, maybe? My eyes opened but I closed them again since it was too bright. I fluttered my eyes a bit till my vision cleared. Men in medical masks were standing over my head. We were moving somewhere and they were shouting. One of them placed some mask over my mouth and darkness consumed me again.

"When will she wake up?", asked a sweet gentle voice. Mom. She was here. I wanted to see her but my body wouldn't obey me.

"Mrs. Miller, we do not know. We have put her in a temporary coma so that her brain can heal peacefully but she will only wake up when her body is ready," a strange, professional voice replied.

'I am awake!' I wanted to shout.

I heard the sound of footsteps, the scraping of a chair somewhere near my bed. The gentle caress of my Mom's hand soon followed.

"Wake up for me, sweetheart," my Mom's broken voice uttered. It was full of unshed tears.

"I am awake, Mom," I said in my head before sleep took over me again.