It's Fine

"What are you doing," I asked nervously as he crossed the room. I forgot to take the trash out again- the third time this week. I didn't know how he was going to react
" I don't know what to do with you anymore Joseph!" he screamed ," you never do what I ask!" Oh no. He went to his bedroom. He was losing control again. I knew what was coming next so I tried to look for a place to hide in the small crumby trailer we owned but I could find none that would confine me.
I hears him rummage through his drawer; I was almost out of time. Desperate, I curled up into a ball in the corner. He might not get to me this way, I thought.
Suddenly, there was a slam. Colossal steps shook the fragile home. I tried to erase myself against the wall.
" Joseph!" My father shouted. My breath shook as I inhaled. He was standing right in front of me. The all-too-familiar piece of leather dangled from his side.
"Get up now!"
I wavered for a fraction of a second - big mistake.
"I said get up!" Father yelled and kicked me on my right thigh. Wincing in pain, I managed to stand up. The distance between us was not more than 3 inches.
"Now," , my father bellowed, " you need to be taught a lesson,".
"Okay father," I whispered, avoiding his eyes.
"Look at me when I'm talking to you!" he shouted and smacked me across the face. The impact made my head swerve to the left. The hit was so hard it tingled and I could feel each of his fingers still on my cheek. Mist filled my eyes but I stared straight up into his cold grey eyes.
"Now, you will not disobey me again,".
He spoke so quietly I almost couldn't hear him. He tightened his grip on the belt, stepped back, and it began. All I could do was try to cope with the pain and pray, silently asking God if he could remind me to take the trash out Wednesday if that would be okay.