the beginning

prologue

-o-

When someone close to you dies, your first instinct is to question why it had to be them. Where did they go wrong and why that day. Your second instinct is to scream at the Gods above because it's all your fault! and you stomp around angrily blaming the death of that person on every little thing and every little one. Your third instinct is to slowly understand that maybe it was finally their time, maybe they were needed somewhere else and maybe it's time for you to move on.

John Sheeran felt none of the above. He listened closely to the voice on his mobile that spoke lowly and discreetly about the death of his brother, Des Styles. He wasn't surprised, angry, or sad. He was knowing. Knowing because his brother began to slack tremendously on his duties after his youngest son was born. He got soft and that ultimately screwed him over in the end.

He'd been on a job, successfully infiltrating into their enemies headquarters and stealing some paperwork. But he had screwed up when his mobile went off and all eyes were on him. He'd been shot instantly, none of his co members being able to save him in time.

It was a solemn time for them all.

Now, John was left with what little information he was able to decipher from an earlier phone call from his brother and a small envelope containing instructions if his death ever came early. John turned the letter around and around in his hand shaking his head and sighing to himself. He wasn't ready to take over the entire mafia of Northern England but he supposed he had too.

So John stood there all clad in a plain white tee, dark jeans, and a sour cloud hung over his ginger hair and pale face, dark and empty. His fingers tingled with anxiousness while he waited for his sister-in-law to arrive, afraid of her reaction. She was very good at hiding her feelings from the rest, her smile could be as bright as a the sun's rays while on the inside she could be torn up.

"John?" He looked up to find Anne, Des' now widowed wife, walking up to him slowly. He let a small sad smile make its way upon his face as he opened his arms up for a hug. She graciously stepped into the embrace.

"I'm sorr-,"

She backed out of the hug and shook her head slowly. "Don't, John. He told me it would happen sooner or later."

John nodded and watched as she took a glance towards the envelope in his hand.

"His birthday was yesterday." She sighed quietly. "Harry's, I mean. He was rushing, I know, trying to get home just to see him and then-." Her voice got choked up and John rubbed her back in comfort.

"Anne," He spoke softly and she nodded once more.

"Take good care of my children, John." She said sternly with only a little bit of a smile on the side.

"You know I will." He promised. Anne smiled, hugging John again slightly before walking out of the hospital waiting room. The hospital that had pronounced her husband dead upon arrival just hours before. She walked out the entrance doors and took her life with it.

When John had found out what Anne had done, he broke down in front of his whole group and many others did as well. The man lost two important people in his life over the course of just one day, he only had Harry left. He couldn't lose Harry, no, he couldn't bear the fact of losing that young boy - let alone ruin his life with what had already taken his parent's lives.

"I don't care what it takes, Devils!" He spoke with anger laced through his veins and his head held high while the tears attacked his cheeks. "We will get revenge."

Everyone in the underground garage cheered through their sadness.

"And we will protect Harry no matter what the cost." He whispered to himself as the cheers escalated. "He will not grow up in this life."

[opinions?]