Chapter Thirty-Five

The eight year-old boy tucked the volleyball under his arm and crept down the darkened hallway. He couldn't sleep and had decided to toss the ball around a bit. His sister still slept in their bed in the room they shared.

Angry whispering in the living room stopped him.

"Money is too tight to continue as we are."

"That's because you keep spending it on those whores when you leave."

"You're the biggest whore I know. You'll sleep with anyone for a cigarette. Shut up and listen to me. We need another source of income to make ends meet."

"What are you suggesting?"

"Eilana has grown up well. She's thirteen now and quite beautiful for her age. A lot of men would pay well for her, I'm sure. She may not like it at first, but if she takes after you at all, she'll do it like the good, little whore I know she is."

"No."

Both heads turned at the interuption. "What did you just say to me, boy?"

"I said, no. You don't get to touch Eilana."

His dad narrowed his eyes. "What do you suggest instead then?"

"What?"

"You can't shoot down an idea without another plan to offer."

The boy looked around, chewing his lip. He turned the ball in his hands, then met his dad's stare. "Me? I'll take her place."

He was pretty for a boy. His parents friend's had stated many times that he would be a heart breaker when he was older.

His dad smiled. "That sounds like a plan. You have yourself a deal, Tooru."