In The Flesh

One day I had it all. The next day, I lost it all.

     It seemed to be one of those kinda things that only happens in movies. In fact, it happened just like a movie, except... it was not a movie. It was real life. It was My life. Was as in: in the past. The person I was before the day when life was perfect is long gone. Because the next day when I lost everything, was the day I lost my life. 

    "I don't know Ems," I say to my friend, Emily. I'm stretched out across my bed. "I think we should crash Chance's party."

     "Ughhh, Zoe! It's 11 at night." Emily says. 

     "Yeah! The party just started." I say. She folds her arms.

     "I'm not even supposed to be out this late." She says. I roll my eyes. "Zoe, I told my father we were studying! You know I hate lying to him."

     "What?" I sit up in my bed. "It was no lie. We were studying!"

     "Were. Three hours ago. I gotta get home." She says. She picks her bag up off the floor. "Plus, I'm really tired."

     "We will have plenty of time to sleep when we're dead." I say smiling.

     "If I don't get home, I will be dead." Emily smiles back.

     "Ugh! You're such a Christian!" I throw I pillow at her face. "It's fucking Saturday!"

     "Oh, that language Zoe!" She gasps. I giggle. "And I'm aware that it's Saturday. And tomorrow is Sunday. Church early in the morning." She turns to walk towards my bedroom door.

     "Josh is gonna be there."I say. I bite my lip. She turns around, clearly blushing.

     "So?" She says.

     "So... you totally like him!" I tease.

     "No. I totally don't." She says. In my bed I prop my self on my knees and sit on my legs.

     "Oh, so I could call dibs?" I say. Emily rolls her eyes. "Fine." I say. "I'll go to the party alone. And I will dress real slutty."

     "Like you already do." Emily says.

     "And I'll go up to Josh and ask him to dance."

     "Whatever." She says.

    "Then I'll take him to Chance's bedroom to make out...." I say. Emily gulps and goes pale. "And then we'll.... well you know."

     "No you won't, Zoe." Emily says.

     "Why not?" I ask. "You just said you don't like him."

     "Well, maybe I do, a little." She says.

     "It doesn't matter cause you're not going to the party. I'll get him first." I say. Emily just looks at me and doesn't say anything. "Plus, you can't go out with him."

     "Why not?" Emily says.

     "Because, Ems, your father already said you couldn't date until you're 18."

     "Well, Zoe, Josh likes me too." She says. "He'll wait."

     "But then what?" I say. "He'll have to marry you to have sex with you."

     "You know what, Zoe..."

    "No, do you know what, Emily." I stand up and look her in the eyes. "If you were a real friend, you'd do things with me. We don't have fun together like friends are supposed to."

     "And if you were a real friend, you wouldn't pressure me to do things I don't want to."

     "Well if we're not real friends, I don't wanna be fake friends." I say.

     "Fine." Emily says.

     "You can return all of my things when you get home from church, Bitch." I tell her. She turns to walk out. "And I won't go to that party." I say. "I'll just text Josh right now and tell him to come over. Wink." I say and she storms out. Moments later, I hear my front door slam.