Thoughts

The museum hummed with the presence of those in it. People walking, talking, laughing, smiling. Admiring painting after painting. Pulling out a smartphone or a camera to take a picture, only to be scolded and told to put the device away. There were small children clinging tightly to their mothers' hands (more like mothers clutching their children to keep them out of trouble). A group of students that appeared to be on a field trip, the ones at the back evidently causing mischief.

I looked up at the painting in front of me. Another abstract piece. This one by Franz Klein. I smiled faintly. Something about his work always got to me for some reason.

I took a couple more steps forward, looked at other pieces. A quick glance to my right told me that there was no eating allowed in the museum.

Sigh. I guess I'll have to eat my granola bar later. Or I could just go to Starbucks...
I'll go to Starbucks.

I walked down the next corridor, this one full of statues. Two supposedly teenage girls walked past me as they exited the same hall, one of them commenting rather loudly on all the sculptures, the other constantly saying her voice was too loud. Another smile tugged at the sides of my mouth, as I recall being in the second girl's position more than a few times.

About ten more minutes and I was out of the museum. I shivered as I stepped into the cold Canadian air. I adjusted my scarf and shoved my hands into my pockets.

Where to now?
Ah, yes. Starbucks.

I glanced around the not-so-busy intersection and spotted a shop not too far off, but on the other side of the street. I decided to head there.

There was already a small cluster of people at the pedestrian crossing, waiting for the light to turn green, and I stood among them.

Not surprisingly, there was one person – a kid to be specific – pressing the wait button infinitely many times. The man standing next to him – probably his father – didn't do much to stop him, besides an occasional glare. He was much too busy checking his phone for... something.

There was a man in a suit, holding a briefcase in one hand and his phone in the other. Near him, there was a lady (she looked about 23-ish) dressed for the gym. I wondered how both of them hadn't frozen yet. Or at least, why they weren't shivering like crazy.

But then again it's like 5 degrees. And I'm not used to this weather yet. So there.

The light turned green.

I headed to the counter once I got to Starbucks and queued behind the girls in front of me. They looked about a year or two younger than me.

But then again, people say I look older than I am...

They left with their drinks after what felt like an eternity.

They were probably ordering from the secret menu. Those orders take forever.

The barista smiled at me as I stepped forward. I smiled back at him.

"I'll have a Chai Crème Frappuccino, please."

  •••