Chapter 1: Payge

Payge sighed as she tied her shoes- again. Her 'parents' couldn't spare to buy her decent enough shoes that you don't have to tie every three minutes.

Bah! They didn't have the decency to buy her anything nice. Her hair was always ratty, since her brush was a horse groomer. Payge's clothes were four pieces of denim sewn together by Payge, who has no sewing experience, to make baggy overalls. Then underneath she wore a dirty white t-shirt and leggings underneath, which she was able to put enough money for just a few months ago.

Her ugly brown eyes were always made fun of by her family. Which were the only people she'd talked to in almost a year, the last time was when she bought the clothes in May. It was August.

"Payge Helen Springs!!!!" Charlotte Springs' voice echoed through the small farm they lived on. Payge winced at her mother's voice, boy did she despise that woman!

She immediately knew something went wrong, Charlotte only screamed when she was mad. Most of the time she pulled Payge by the ear into the house.

Payge sulked quickly to the house, opening the door eerily. There Charlotte and Bob Springs sat on the couch with disappointed, and angry looks.

Bob Springs was your definition of big baby. The hair on his head was small, and was curled on his head, but it was very flat. He always wore a blue or pink onesie, and insisted on sleeping from 6 P.M. to 3 P.M. And no, in different days, meaning. His eyes were a flat brown, and he had to have had at least five chins. On Bob's lap there was a bowl of soup which Payge was forced to home-make without any recipe just 30 minutes ago.

Charlotte Springs was a nasty looking woman. Her lips were barely visible, and her hair was so thin that paper got jealous. Not to mention that her hair was blood red, and her eyes a dark brown that looked black.

Payge shuffled awkwardly on her feet, and Charlotte immediately spoke in her raspy, sharp voice.

"Payge, what kind of person do you think you are?"

Payge resisted the urge to let her jaw clatter to the floor. Instead she took a deep breath, and gave an oblivious smile. "I would say a farmer, or a cook. I do both quite often."

Bob glared at her, processing her response from inside his thick skull.

"No! You idiotic child, do you not see the obvious!?" Charlotte snapped, gesturing to her father. "You put radishes in his soup!"

"And....?" Payge asked, trying to find the point in this conversation.

"And? And? He didn't feel like radishes!!" Charlotte barked. "But do you ever care about what you're father feels like! No! No you don't!!"

"I-"

"Don't even think about speaking!! You know what," an evil smile appeared on Charlotte's face, "the market. You will go to the market! And buy carrots and pudding and beef stew!"

Payge's heart dropped and she started to sputter. "Mother! You promised you wouldn't make me go the market! The...the... r-rocks. .and..."

Charlotte laughed. "Yes, I hope they are still the same racist barbarians they were 5 years ago! Maybe that will teach you a lesson!"

Unlike Payge, Bob and Charlotte where both very pale. When they got married they wanted to adopt a child.

Then they were given with a little African baby nobody wanted. That baby was Payge.

She started to cry slightly, and Charlotte gave her a small look of sympathy. Charlotte brushed the tears away with her thumb then smacked her across the face with her face.