Snapped and Sentenced- Chapter 5

Fingers dug into my skin, not with force, but authority. My body was pressed against something warm and moving. My heartbeat exploded, making clear thoughts impossible. My thoughts raced from the man's body pressed against my backside to the ache in my arms as I flailed them about. I kicked my legs back hoping that I would connect with any part of the assailant. I cried in triumph when I felt my bare foot hit rough clothing, but nothing happened. Instead, an arm shot out, and came around entrapping both my arms and waist.   

            "Enough." A low voice barked into my ear. Like a fish, I wriggled in the captors arms. Good job Lanie Ol' Girl, escape robbers only to get murdered. Good for you! I ignored the crude thoughts and resorted to my instincts. Pulling back my lips, I bit the hand and felt the arm around my waist tighten. I tried to move, but it was useless.       

            "Relax." The same low voice spoke, but this time it was barely above a whisper. By that time my eyes had finally adjusted to the darkness and I realized we were in an alleyway. People continued to walk at the mouth of the alleyway, but nobody looked in. I groaned trying to get someone's attention, joy swelled in my heart as two bodies appeared in the opening. Help! I tried to yell, but all the came out was a fleeting grunt.

            "Did you hear that?" One of the bodies asked, male. The man holding me began to crawl back, sinking deeper and deeper into the abyss. My feet scraped against the grungy asphalt, rocks digging into the delicate flesh. I was dragged until a wall came between us and the two men. My breathing was shallow and sounded like a wounded animal.

            "Relax." The voice whispered once again.

            "She's hiding." A feathery voice echoed around me, my heart preceded to play its drum solo. I wasn't hiding, I was being held captive!      

            "Check the alley, I'll meet you round back." The grip on my waist loosened, but the one on my mouth stayed put.

             Footsteps, someone was coming. My ears listened and so did the man who held onto me. When I heard the footsteps a few feet away, the hand over my mouth disappeared and air came rushing in. I staggered as the arm around my waist pushed me back, against the wall, the warm body was gone. Instead, it was in front of me, my nose pressed against his shirt. I tried to side step him, but I was trapped. Again.

            Every breath that I took was filled with an extraordinary scent. It was by no means unpleasant, but rather foreign. It reminded me of the smell a summers rain carried, very light, but filled to the brim with joy which lathered the body. I closed my eyes for just a second, and allowed myself to bask in the smell. A woodsy aroma blended in with the post summer rainstorm, my body warmed up instantly.

            "Mommy please, please just one more puddle!" I cried grabbing onto her lime green rain coat. My seven year old fingers looked like mints compared to the giant buttons.

            "I don't know." She smiled playfully, a smile that forced men into putty and women to run to their dentists.     

            "One more time, pleeease!" I whimpered looking at the inviting puddle ahead. It was at least six inches wide, but the depth lay unknown. "One more time!" The clouds overhead began to scatter, patches of sunlight burst onto the street.

            "Just once."

            "Just once," a voice grumbled, "just one I'd like to find one." The man in front of me tensed, his posture became ramrod straight. Step by step the footsteps drew closer, until the man stood right in front us. I closed my eyes shut and bit my tongue from calling out.