Another day

A/N: hey guys! Hope you like this new story. I just need to explain something really quick. So the setting of this story is in Puerto Rico, around the time of the 70's. Also some of the names have been changed to protect their identity. Anyway, I hope you enjoy!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Magdalena's pov

"Magdalena wake up, your gonna be late for work!" I hear my mother yell at me from down stairs.
"Calm down mother!!! I'm coming!!" I yell at her.

It was tiring to wake up every morning to her screams. I had hoped that when I graduated from school that I would move out and live on my own.

But after my aunt got sick and stopped giving money to my parents they had to move in with me. Don't get me wrong; My father is a very hard working man but the money from cutting sugar canes isn't enough.

After I change into my uniform I go downstairs to eat. My mother has always been a good cook; it's her greatest talent.
Actually it's her only talent. She isn't a very smart woman since she never finished school and she could barely hold a job; so she decided to be a stay at home mom. She raised me and my sister while my father was cutting sugar canes.

Unlike me, My sister was lucky enough to marry a good man after graduating from high school, and moved as far away from our crazy family as possible.

I sometimes envy her. She has everything I Have always dreamt of having. A family, happiness, freedom and a house at the side of the beach;
While I'm stuck here in the city with our annoying parents, All alone....

"Magdalena hurry up and eat. Your breakfast is getting cold." My mother yelled while cleaning the house.

"Yes mother" I say to her and continue to eat my eggs and bacon.

After I'm done eating I walk outside of my house and close the doors.
"Bye mother" I yell from outside.

"Bye Magdalena" I faintly hear her say as I begin walking to the city.

I didn't have a car. It was a hard decision I had to make between buying a car or a house. I obviously choose house but I sometimes wonder what it feels like to drive.

On my way to work I spot a taxi. My heels were killing me and I was no where near my work place so I eagerly wave my hands for it to stop. When it does, I hop in and immediately recognize the driver's face.

"Jose! How are you? I haven't seen you in so long" I say.

"Magdalena! Im fine, it's so good to see you! How is your mother?" He says

"Oh she's doing just fine. How's your wife and bundle of joy doing?" I say teasingly. He always used to say that he would never get married much less have a child, and now look at him! He's married to a great woman and now has a beautiful baby girl.

"Oh they are doing great! Maria is turning two years old in 3 weeks. Time passes by so fast" he sighs.

"Yeah it really does" I say while looking at the people who were walking on the sidewalk.
Suddenly the car stops and I see the shop where I work at.

"Here we are!" He says.

"How did you know I was going to work?"

"Magdalena, I have known you for 8 years. The day that I see you not working is the day pigs fly." He says while laughing.

"Good point. How much do I owe you?"

"Don't worry it's on the house or in this case on the car" he laughed at his corny joke.

"But you need the money, Jose!" I say while taking out a 5 dollar bill.

"Here. Take it!" I say while giving him the money.

"Magdalena this is too much-"

"Don't worry. Take it as an early birthday gift for your daughter." I interrupt him.

He was about to protest but a honk from a car behind us interrupts him. He sighs in defeat.

"Your so stubborn, Magdalena. Thank you!" He says while driving away.

"Your welcome" I yell at him; Not really sure if he heard me from how far away he is.

I turn around and open the front door to the shop.

"Another boring day at
work" I say to myself.