Chapter 4

When she got back to her room, there were two girls on the bed along the left wall. They were watching something on a tablet. She turned around to leave, but one of them noticed her.

"Hey, don't worry, you can come in. You must be our new roommate." She turned around and put on a smile. They both looked about her age. One of them had straight shoulder length black hair, brown eyes, and looked to be of Japanese decent, and she smiled brightly at Amelia. They other girl seemed dark and moody somehow. She wasn't wearing dark makeup or even dark clothes. She wore the same school uniform that Fia had and that the other girl was wearing. She had long black hair that was pulled back into a ponytail. She smiled at Amelia too, but she could feel that she wasn't really happy to see her.

The first girl spoke up and Amelia immediately recognized her voice as the one who had spoken before. "My name's Youko. Mary and I were just watching some videos of puppies. Would you like to join us?"

Amelia looked over at Mary who looked back at the tablet.

"Please leave, please leave," she heard Mary think. She sounded almost afraid.

"Youko, that's an interesting name. What does it mean?" she said stalling. She didn't want to upset Mary, but she also didn't want to hurt Youko's feelings when she seemed genuinely nice.

"Ocean child. Now do you want to see some cute puppies or not?"

"I prefer cats," she said looking at Mary again. Mary glanced up and smiled a little, and this time she seemed to mean it.

"Me too," she said quietly.

"What? " Said Youko surprised. "I thought you like puppies. We've been friends for six years and you never told me you like cats better."

Mary shrugged. "I don't dislike dogs, I just like cats better. Besides, you do like dogs better, so I don't see anything wrong with letting you watch what you like to watch."

"But we always watch dog videos. If I had known you like cats better, we could have taken turns."

"It's fine. I don't mind. Your my best friend, so I really don't mind watching what you like."

"But that's not how a friendship should work. There should be both give and take from both sides." She turned to Amelia. "Back me up here... what's your name?"

"Amelia," she said hesitantly, not wanting to get involved.

"Back me up Amelia."

"I'd rather not get involved."

"To late you're already a part of this. Come on, what do you say?"

She thought about it for a moment before answering. "I think you're both right. It's true that a friendship should be a give and take. But what if Mary loves giving, but doesn't really like taking. It wouldn't before to force her to take." Youko just nodded.

"Fine, but we are watching cat videos next. Come on Amelia" she said patting an empty spot on the bed.

She sat down, finally feeling truly welcome since talking to Headmaster Legend. That reminded her. She needed to find out what a hydromorph was. Maybe it had something to do with why she could sense other people's emotions and sometimes hear their thought. Maybe she wasn't crazy after all.

She thought about asking Youko and Mary if they knew what it was, but decided against it. What if they didn't know what it was and then asked her what it was? Then she'd have to admit to listening in on Fia and Headmaster Legend. She didn't want them to think poorly of her when they had just met. Especially when she had never really had any friends. Sure she had one or two when she was younger, but as soon as her mom got to sick to work, she had to spend most of her time doing school work or babysitting. She didn't really have time for friends. Now was her chance to make some and she was not going to ruin it.