Chapter 14

The lake I had seen briefly before as we had been falling was now all around us. The plane was no longer an aircraft, but a very large, metal, possibly leaky lifeboat. A news article from years ago floated to the front of my mind. Someone had hit a flock of migrating geese, one had gotten sucked into the engine and crashed the plane. The pilot landed the plane in a lake, and everyone survived. Except the goose. Funny how some things, even death, can be dismissed so easily because the thing in question didn't "matter" enough. I wondered if anyone mourned the goose. If anyone even cared.

Maybe this time, I was the goose. But I wasn't dead yet, at least that I knew of. My ears rang as I did a mental check of my body, to make sure I was OK. Arms, legs, hands. fingers, feet.... One of my legs seemed to have been bruised. Despite the injury, I was relieved that it was nothing too serious and that I was still alive. Still alive.

Believe me I am, still alive

I'm doing science and I'm, still alive

I feel fantastic and I'm, still alive

Still alive,

Still alive

The end of Portal's "Still Alive" that whispered through my head reminded me of the times Leslie and I had played that game. And other games, too. She's my best friend, I have to find her! I was worried for everyone else. Were they OK? Was I just the lucky one?

I uncurled myself from impact position. Beside me my father was standing up, the emergency protocol packet that adorned every seat back in hand.

"Everyone, stay calm!" he raised his voice above the growing chatter.

"There's life jackets under the seats, and you can use the cushions for floatation devices," he summarized parts of the instructions on the packet.

"Once you've got that on, get to the nearest exit and get out! Get onto the wing if you can, it's safer there than in the water, cold as it is right now."

As I swiftly buckled the life jacket around me, I admired my father's bravery. Standing up and bringing order to the chaos? Now that was brave. Funny how a plane crash made you realize what you'd been missing that was right in front of your face for years. I debated weather I should tell him who was still alive, right here on this plane. Would he be strong enough to take the surprise? I had passed out. Right now, the plane needed him. Everyone needed his solid determination.

I stated rushing over to the end of the plane where Leslie and Jordan and my mother and Flying War Potato still were, but my dad stopped me.

"Nearest exit, wing, come on Amanda!" he said into my ear. As we were pushed like a product on an assembly line of people to the exit, I noticed cracks in the floor. The spaces between metal panels. Spots weakened by rust. Rips that might not hold against the pressure of the water...

Stepping out carefully onto the smooth metal surface of the wing was almost blinding. The afternoon sunlight reflected off of the water and the wing. The contrast between this and the dim cabin with its busted lights was enormous. I walked swiftly across the slightly curving surface to let other people behind me out, arms stretched out so I didn't fall. Even with my life jacket, the water was uninviting.

I shielded my eyes against the light and scanned the crowd, looking for Leslie and Jordan and Flying War Potato and the flaming haired woman and my mother. It was a few minutes before I saw them walk through the round door. I wanted to run over to them, pushing people aside, but I waited, waving my arms so they'd see me in the growing crowd of people.

People still inside the plane must have started to panic, pushing and shoving each other through that tiny door. One man started shouting. Everything dissolved into chaos as people and families ran across the wing. I could feel it tilt slightly as the majority of the weight went from one area to another. A child started to cry, swept up in her mother's arms. Not taking my eyes off of Leslie and the others, I waved my arms again so they could still see me. An overweight businessman in a tie barreled through the crowd...

Time seemed to slow down. The businessman was shoving people out of his way. Jordan lost his balance by the edge of the wing.

My arms fell to my sides.

His hands reached out, trying to find something to hold on to.

I shouted, but I couldn't hear my own voice. Everything was a slow-motion blur, void of sound and distractions.

I felt myself running, crashing into other people, elbowing them out of the way.

Flying War Potato reflexively tried to grab onto Jordan's hand.

The sunlight shone on his hair, illuminated the gap between their reaching fingers.

Through the blur I heard a splash. Droplets of water jumped and fell, splattering on the wing and the water.

I was halfway across the wing when he hit the water.