I Want To Fly

"I want to fly

Can you take me far away

Give me a star to reach for

Tell me what it takes

And I'll go so high

I'll go so high

My feet won't touch the ground

Stitch my wings

And pull the strings

I bought these dreams

That all fall down"

Chapter One: I Want To Fly 

           *Drip, drop, drip, drop, drip, drop*

The room was silent except for the dripping of water in the sink. It's my birthday, but it felt like another normal day at home. My dad looked up from his book and reached for a cigarette.

                "Turn off the damn water. You want us racking up an expensive water bill or something?" 

I shook my head and stood from my seat. My pencil clattered onto the paper as it landed on my homework page. This was one of those rare days that dad wasn't drunk. Usually he tried to be as sober as possible on my birthday then slipped one drink, then another and another until he was completely wasted. I turned off the water with a jerk of my wrist before walking away. I plopped down in front of my homework again and worked on it for a minute before the door opened. 

               "Where are my boys?"

Mamma's warm voice filled the silent, cold apartment. She leaned over and kissed my head before walking to dad and kissed him on the lip and looked at him with a loving look. I wished it was always like this.

             "Baby, look what I got you for your birthday." 

She pulled out a shoe box that had a bow on the top. I looked at her surprised and took the box from her hands. I pushed my text books aside and placed the box on the coffee table. I untied the bow and took off the lid. 

    Before me sat the nicest pair of shoes my eyes have seen. They were Jordan's. Black, red, and white Jordan air's with straps AND laces. My eyes must have lit up and slightly popped out of my head because Momma laughed and smiled at me. 

            "I knew you were like them. Go ahead and try them on."

I slipped on the shoes and they fit perfectly. I stood and walked around in them. They felt good. I felt powerful. 

          "You know, the sun is still up. Why don't you go down to the court and really put those shoes to the test?" 

A smile crept onto my face and I hugged momma and dad. This was perfect. I was finally like the big boys. I was finally ready to try and be professional. I changed into my basketball shorts. I ran out of the door and jogged to the court that was just down the street. At the court  I saw the high school boys. 

          "Can I join?" 

The boys heads snapped in my direction. They looked me over and once they got to my shoes a grin formed on their faces and they agreed. I rejoiced inside. They told me to start with a foul shot. I got into the right position. I want to fly. I want to fly. I want to fly. I dribbled the ball slowly on the concrete. I want to fly. I want to fly. I want to fly. I crouched down and lifted the ball in my hands. I want to fly. I want to fly. I want to fly.  I jumped up and tossed the ball with a flick of my wrist. I landed with a thud. It felt as if I jumped 20 feet in the air. It felt as if I would be able to touch the rim, just like Mike. My eyes followed the ball and i watched it swoop into the hoop. Nothing but net. I smile was planted on my face and I jumped up and hooted. I was so excited. The high school boys looked at me in awe. I did all of this. I got this new found skill and courage just from these shoes. These shoes made me fly...