epilogue

Exactly one year after the police had found Brooklyn Milani, Serena Khan, and Christopher Warren in Hadley's farm, Brooklyn found herself back in her old home. 

It was about midnight, and Brooklyn made sure she stayed incognito in her beat up Honda. A year ago, she would never have been caught dead in a Honda. Funny how much can change in a year. 

Windsor proudly stood in the night, only one window illuminated by a soft glow. Brooklyn knew it was Diana's old room. Her heart clenched, and she could feel a panic attack on the way. 

One, two, three, four. 

Hold. 

One, two, three, four. 

Let go. 

In her bag, her phone started ringing, frightening Brooklyn out of her reverie. She fumbled around for it, letting her shoulders slump back down when she was that it was only Chris. 

"Hello?" she asked, breathlessly into the phone. 

"Tell me you aren't out at this late hour," Chris said, not even bothering to say hello. 

Brooklyn sat back in her seat, casually draping one of her hands over the steering wheel. "It didn't feel right to just sit in the apartment, you know?" 

Chris stayed silent. He had gone into Albany to be with his and Diana's family for the one-year-anniversary of Diana's death. The families had both moved into Albany, New York, and opened up a new deli shop. Despite Chris and Brooklyn's relationship, it was clear that Brooklyn would never be considered part of the Warren family. But Brooklyn understood. In fact, she felt better that it was that way. If the Warren family welcomed her in with open arms, she would have felt guilty. 

"I'm just in the car, outside of Windsor. I won't go in, I have that paper due tomorrow morning that I need to finish. Don't worry about me. Enjoy the time with your family." 

On the other side of the phone call, Brooklyn could imagine Chris chewing on his nail or running his hand through his hair. "Sure, yeah. I can stay and talk with you, if you wan't. Everyone's asleep." 

Leaning her head against the cool glass of the window, Brooklyn allowed herself to relish the sound of Chris' soft voice. "Tell me about where you are right now." 

After the police had taken her to the hospital and separated Chris and Brooklyn, Chris made up a plan so they wouldn't be split apart again. They would take turns describing every small detail about their surroundings and how they felt so that the other could easily visualize them. 

"I'm on the porch, sitting on one of those swinging chairs. I was going to grab a beer, but I thought better of it and made coffee. I'm wearing those blue plaid pajamas and my gray Saint Julius shirt." 

Brooklyn nodded, even though she knew Chris couldn't see her. "I'm in the Honda wearing the black athletic shorts and your blue sweatshirt. Makeup free, of course. I have water next to me. I'm parked next to a black BMW in the driveway." 

"Make sure you're careful. You know what happens if someone catches you on campus." 

She did. Obviously Brooklyn had been expelled from RPC. And if her Dad hadn't been one of the best attorneys in New York, Brooklyn probably also would have been spending the rest of her life in jail. It wasn't her choice, but her Dad made it so Brooklyn got off with only stupid gossip tabloids that annoyed her. 

"Okay," Brooklyn said. "I'm going to leave now. I'll call you when I get home, yeah?" 

Chris made an affirmative noise. "I love you, Milani."