chapter 2

"You really should be nice to him," Kirstin told Mitch the next day as they walked down the sidewalk after school. "He seems like he really wants to get to know you."

"That doesn't mean I have to let him," Mitch sighed, blowing a bubble with his gum and adjusting his beanie.

"Yeah, but..." Kirstin sighed. "You could atleast give him a shot. He could be the one."

"There's no such thing as 'the one,' Kirst," Mitch scoffed, making air quotes with his fingers. "He's just a guy. And I don't need a guy. I'm fine on my own."

"You always say that, but I'm scared you're gonna end up old and alone and living in my basement," Kirstin laughed, and Mitch scoffed.

"Rude," he huffed. "And not true. I don't have to have someone looking over my shoulder all the time to be successful. I can do it on my own."

"Whatever you say," Kirstin sighed.

"I can! I don't need people around me 24/7!" Mitch immediately defended himself. "There's a thing called independence, Kirstin."

Kirstin huffed, shaking her head. "I know, Mitch. I get that-"

"Apparently you don't," Mitch furrowed his eyebrows. "You expect that I'll need someone to babysit me for me to get where I want to go. But I don't! I don't need a boyfriend to look over my shoulder all the time, I don't need a shitload of friends. I'm perfectly fine with how I am /now/. I have one friend and myself. That's all I need."

"Mitch, you're going to end up wanting to settle down and have a family," Kirstin told him, running a hand through her silver hair. "Why are you so against that?"

"Because I don't need it!" Mitch stopped walking, giving Kirstin a hard glare. "I'm not a baby. I can do shit by myself."

"I know you can, but-"

"No," Mitch interrupted. "You don't know. You say you're my friend, but you act like you don't know me. You know I'm independent. You know I'm always alone, and that's how I like it. Why do you push this shit on me all the time?"

Kirstin swallowed, taking a deep breath. "I'll see you tomorrow," she mumbled before continuing to walk, leaving Mitch in the middle of the sidewalk.

He huffed, his eyes suddenly beginning to burn with tears. He turned around and started to walk the other way, but bumped into a large figure and stumbled backwards slightly.

"Mitch?" A voice asked, grabbing his hand to stabilize him. Mitch looked up, immediately recognizing the blonde in front of him. He yanked his hand away, taking in a deep breath.

"I'm fine," he mumbled through clenched teeth, but Scott wasn't satisfied with that answer.

"No you aren't."

"I... How would you know?" Mitch fired. "You don't know me. You met me yesterday."

"That doesn't mean that I won't be able to tell if you're pissed or not," Scott retorted simply, crossing his arms over his chest. He looked at Mitch with a raised eyebrow, waiting for a response.

"Will you just... leave me alone?" Mitch groaned, pushing past Scott and running down the sidewalk. He held back the tears that burned his eyes as he continued running until he got home. He ran up and into his room, slamming the door shut.

"Fuck," he whimpered, falling to his knees. "I'm so awful."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
this was just a filler ig.