Prologue

Prologue
Helpless

Aubrey Winter

I woke frantically in a cold sweat, my clothes clinging to my body tightly. I looked around the room in panic, but nothing was there. Darkness invaded my room, spreading to every corner.

It was just a dream, I reassured myself. Just a dream.

I heard faint yelling from downstairs and I shot up, sitting upright in bed and turning my right ear toward the door. A large bang startled me and I jumped back a little, startled. My parents always fought, always finding something to argue about. My Father was a raging alcoholic, always showing anger towards my Mother and I. He would work all day, and then go drink for God knows how long. I wasn't even sure if he went to work anymore.

But the thing that trouble me was, why was he drinking in the first place. He has a wife, a daughter, a nice home, good job, and enough money to get by. What sends him over the edge causing him to pick up the bottle and chug back a couple. He'd come home drunk and angry. Inflecting hatred whenever he got the chance.
My Mother says it will get better, that someday he'll wake up to himself and realize he doesn't need alcohol. But I wasn't too sure. It had been happening for months now, and it was really hard.

But I guess in a way I had learnt to accept it. But it always saddened me, hearing my Fathers harsh words as my Mother cowered away defending myself.

My Mother always used to be there for me, helping me with anything she could. She was once a happy woman, smiling all the time. That has all changed, last month she was diagnosed with depression causing her to do nothing more than mope around the house all day.

I personally blamed my Father for her state. It was when he started drinking that my Mother began to be sad. She turns the cold shoulder to everything she loves and cares about including me, but offers me the sympathetic smile now and then. But I just want life to go back to the way it was. Where my Father actually cared and my Mother smiled brightly. But life is never how you expect it.

Another bang scared me, snapping me from my thoughts. I got up carefully, being sure not to make a sound and tip toed towards the door, so I could hear what they were arguing about this time.

"HOW COULD YOU?! You selfish BITCH! Sleeping with another man!" My Fathers drunken cries echoed through the house like a blade and I whimpered against the door.

"No Henry I swear I-." My Mother cried, the sadness evident in her tone.

"Save it SLUT! I work hard for this family! And you go and repay me, by what?! Sleeping with another man?!" My Father screamed, and the sound of shattering glass bounced off the walls an straight to my ears, making me jump.

"Please Henry, calm down we can work this out." My Mother pleaded, "it's just a misunderstanding."

"A misunderstanding, huh?!" My Father yelled.

"Yes. And I can see you're angry and being unreasonable-.." Mom cried.

"UNREASONABLE?!!" He roared, "how would you like to go to work all day to come home and find your so called wife in bed with another man?!"

"That's not what it-." My Mother's cries were silenced by 3 loud bangs. It only took me a second to realize what they were.

Gun shots.

I cowered away from the door, fear taking over as I hugged my arms tight around my torso. A silent tear ran down my cheek, as I stood there alone, in silence.

I had just lost my Mother. The only person I truly care about. She was gone. Dead. All because of three freaking bullets my Father shot in her direction. Those three bullets, destroying her life and making everything in mine come crashing down.

The walls that use to be stable, that sheltered me from the truth of my Father we're know collapsing. And so was the memory of her.

"WHAT HAVE I DONE?!!!!" My Fathers screams broke the silence before two more shots were heard.

I shuddered, stumbling back and falling on the floor. What just happened? The house was silent and I could hear the occasional cricket outside.

I don't know, how long I sat there, looking at the door in panic. But I finally came to the conclusion,

I had just lost both my parents.

My vision began to become fuzzy and I stood up shakily. I didn't do anything to stop it. Anything to help resolve the problem.

I felt so helpless.

++++++++++++++++++++++

-Authors Note-

Hey guys.
This is my first WattPad novel, so I really hope you like it.

I'm sorry this prologue may be a bit too deep and dark, for some readers but just bare with me. It's how the story line is supposed to go, so please trust me.

On other news, I'm sure you would all like to know how often I will be updating. Well, I will try my absolute hardest to upload every week or so. Or maybe every couple days, depending on wifi, my brain, and writers block. But trust me, I will upload as much as possible.

All of my readers, thank you so much. Writing is a passion and career I want to pursue, so please let me know if you like it or not. But please, no hate. I don't handle criticism very well.

So again, thank you all, and don't forget to, vote, and comment.

-Cayla ⚓️