Part 01

Author Note: Shout outs: @TessRebellious, @nervesinsitu, and @EdgarMalboeuf 

                                      ______________________________

Bile rose in her throat. Her heart pumped fast as she forced herself to breathe. She glanced at the dirty, scared faces, before turning back toward the rippling water-filled tunnel. She'd thought that the tunnel would lead them to an untouched paradise. But the once turquoise water was laced with tendrils of blood. It was reaching out as if the blood itself was beckoning them to die.

"We can't stay here forever."

Tommy.

Tommy was the beautiful brave boy that had lived a few houses down from Dani throughout their childhood. The boy that would do anything for her...and he had, him being here now proved it. They'd grown up together and he'd loved her since the day she'd punched him in the face for falling into her, successfully stealing her first kiss. He'd followed her through college, majored in Marine Biology so he could be of use to her. He even asked to marry her once they'd graduated, but not her. Not Dani. She couldn't be tied down. She'd been too blind to anything other than exploring. Too blind to recognize the wonderful life he promised.

Her heart broke at the sound of his deep voice continuing his speech and Dani quickly turned away, her mouth dropping open in a silent sob as tears spilled over her eyelids. He knew what was waiting for them if they all jumped in. Death. They were going to die. It was inevitable. Yet he was so adamant to go back through that narrow deathtrap like he thought any of them had a chance. He always was the adventurous type, which is why she'd come to him first for this expedition.

If only he'd said no. As Dani glanced down at him, taking in his damp brown hair with his seafoam green eyes and his pouting, kissable lips she let the regret show on her face.  She'd been such a fool.

Dani watched as he tilted his head to the side. "Dani? We're running out of freshwater," he said. "We can't stay here forever."

Repeating it didn't change the situation and if she hadn't been so ashamed of herself she would have snapped at him. Dani didn't know whether she was trying to prolong life or was being a coward, but she did know she wasn't ready to lose everyone yet and she definitely wasn't ready to die. Dani tugged at her black diving suit, scratching at an itch beneath her hair on her neck that hadn't left since the moment they'd arrived. That blasted patch of raised skin on the back of her neck was the last thing she needed as she squatted down next to the dead body. This bloodied torn corpse that used to be her Uncle Frank...Uncle Frank was another adventurer who should've said no.

"Stop it! What are you doing, Dani?" Tommy cried out.

She jerked away from the masculine hand that clutched at her shoulder, grimacing slightly as his blunt nails dug into her. He was strong and brave, but righteous. He could never do what she was about to do, but this was on her. She'd gotten them into this and she needed to get them out. "We have to look at the body. We need to see what information we can gather on what attacked him."

"Jesus Dani, distancing yourself right now is the last thing you should be doing." Tommy snapped, reaching forward to yank at her arm again.

Holding in her temper seemed to be a losing battle with each jerk of her arm.  Dani leaped forward and pushed him so hard that he fell on his ass. "What other choice do I have? This is my fault, but we all have to suck it up and deal with it if we want to live."  Her voice caught in her throat. Taking a deep breath she turned from him and curled her hand into a fist before placing it over her mouth.