Chapter Three; Who's That?

"Oh my gosh, did you see that, Jess? He was so close to me!"

"Yes! What I wouldn't give to have been in you're spot!" Jessica replied.

"Did you smell his cologne? It smelled so good, you wouldn't believe it," I exclaimed.

But before Jessica could reply, Michelle Whirley came up to her.

"Hey Jess! T.G.I.F., am I right? Well I wanted to see if you want to join Emma, Emily, and I for that new movie 'Bad And Badder' later today, you in?" she said, not even acknowledging me.

"Yeah! Any specific time, or just wing it?" Jess said.

"Five or so would be good. The movie starts at 5:30 and the theater we're going to is twenty minutes away. We'll have some chat time then." Michelle said mildly, flipping her long, expertly curled auburn hair, and turned to walk away. Right as she turned, she stopped.

"Oh, and don't worry about paying for your ticket and all that. My mom paid for five, planning to bring my sister, her, me and two of my friends, but I made her not bring my sis so I could have another friend of mine come. I decided my three besties should come!" she added with a smile at Jess. She then turned, still not noticing me, and sashayed away, her pink and white Vans slapping against the linoleum floor.

When Michelle had left, Jessica and I started down the hallway, heading for the buses after putting away my books.

Right as we started walking down the hallway, I looked over at Jessica, and noticed something was bugging her. She was biting her lip a bit nervously and glancing over toward me every so often.

"Jess? You okay?" I asked.

She stopped walking and I did the same. We turned to look at each other.

"Um, Anna, I know this might be a little hard for you take in, but I don't think we should be friends anymore." Jessica said. No emotion registered in her face.

My head started and I didnt know what to think. She and I have been friends since we were in first grade. I haven't hung out with anybody else as much as I have with Jess. I don't think anybody could take her place.

"Anna? I know it's hard, but could you talk to me? You don't need to shut down."

Anger started bubbling up inside of me. "Are you kidding me?" I asked. "We've been friends for years. And not just friends, best friends, Jessica."

At this point, I was practically yelling in the hallway. Jessica just stared at me, still emotionless. I was suprised that she wasn't shocked. I not the kind of person to get super angry like I am now.

"I didn't notice any hints you were growing apart from me. How long have you been acting." I asked her with my arms crossed.

"Ever since I've been hanging out with Emily, Michelle, and Emma, I've realized how childish you act." Jessica replied nonchalontly.

"How do I act childish?" I said, not getting how I could be childish.

"You don't tend to talk about boys at all, you don't bother wearing makeup unless it's a special occassion, you only brush your hair, never style it. Those were just a few."

"You mean to say you don't like me because I dont want to put stuff on my face, make my hair special every day, and not talk about guys a lot? That sounds pretty low. I'm starting to not feel inclined to be you're friend either, Jessica." I stated. Eyes narrowed, I walked down the hallway towards the buses, being sure to do that hair flip with my ponytail for added measure.