One

My eyes lazily sweep across the land of the kingdom. Winter has been hard on us this year covering everything in a dust of white.

The color alone makes me want to rip out every last hair on my head. If it were up to me I would force it upon the people to get rid of the wretched white frost. Even our normally shriveled trees glow in color. It's unfortunate because I worked especially hard to make the land as dull as possible.

" My queen." The voice of my servant, Papi, says uneasily. My eyes don't sway from the direction of the snow. Instead, my face turns into a scowl as I take in a small child playing in the fluffy cloud of white.

We give children up until the age of six to change into their darkest selves. Most are born already taught the ways, but for the ones that weren't they have a timeline.

The tips of my nails scrape against the edge of the window. " Papi what have I told you about interrupting me?"

I can practically smell the angst reeking off of him. What, you don't think dark souls can get scared? They might have hearts of steel but mine is purely black. In fact, the little demons practically soil themselves when I enter the room.

" It's time," Papi replies.

My head snaps towards him faster than most could even blink. The spark in my eyes return as my lips twist into a smirk. Right on time.

On the third Wednesday of every month, I have everyone pay their respects with jewels, gold, or the life of someone closest to them. It's also the time when people that have broken a rule of my kingdom face their punishment. Sometimes if they're lucky I deliver the punishments personally.

The dark orbs in Papies eyes glimmer. If it weren't for the restriction in his height he would make a mean looking servant. Just briefly my eyes scan over his stump like figure. The all-black attire brings out the darkness in his eyes, but also looks awkward on him in contrast to his bald head. He did, however, get the left side of his face marked with Hoyishan jewels. It travels upward towards the top half of his head. I take a special liking to that.

I flash a grin, " Perfect."

My heels click against the stone flooring of the castle. It's the only sound that echoes throughout the space. Even Papi that trudges in front of me has found a way to keep quiet. It gives me great joy to see the nervous drops of sweat glide down his neck. He must remember what happened when the maid sneezed yesterday evening.

As we walk by the other servants move to let us pass. Their heads immediately avert to the ground as they try to avoid my eyes. Sometimes you'll have the few occasional souls that peek with curiosity. I don't deprive them from the need to examine me.

Perhaps it's my tall frame that intimidates them. Of course, my heels do help impact that factor. Or maybe it's my features that draw them in. My blonde ringlets cascade down my back. Tickling the bare skin exposed by the cutouts in the waist of my gown. The hazel in my eyes grow even more intensely when exposed to light.

If neither of those is what appeals to their eyes, then it's my gowns. Sometimes they radiate in colors of red or blue. But mostly black is the color I flaunt the most. The one I sport today is one of my personal favorites. It's a black sweetheart ball gown with lace sleeves. The skirt and bodice embroidered in specs of gold. My gold heels peak under my dress when I walk.

A servant of mine looks at my dress greedily. I remind myself to look into her folder later when I have a chance. In the kingdom of Hoyisha, you are bound to the promises you make. That isn't something I control, but a rule of the land. Before someone gets accepted to work in my kingdom they must make an oath not to harm me. That, however, doesn't mean that a servant cannot steal and sell though. Our eyes meet bringing a cruel smile across my face. I cock my head to the side as if I were looking directly into her soul. Call it a gift but I do get hunches when there is trouble. Her eyes quickly fall to the ground.