Prologue

Hades was known as the Greek God of Wealth and the Underworld, the Lord of the Dead. He was the oldest of the Titan Cronus' male children, the sibling of the Gods Zeus and Poseidon. Hades, along with his siblings, were swallowed by their father and later saved by Zeus. He fought alongside his brothers against the Titans and as a thank you, the Cyclops gave to him the Helm of Darkness, making whoever wore it invisible. Hades used the Helm of Darkness to destroy the weapons of the Titans the night before the fight.

When the battle was later won by the Gods, the world needed to be ruled. They divided the world among them. Hades kept the Underworld, where he stayed the majority of the time. He was not welcomed to Olympus for his horrifying nature.

Hades later married the Goddess Persephone, abducting her and forcing her to the Underworld where she became the Queen of the Shadows.

The Underworld, also known as Hades, was a misty and dreary place. It was said to be guarded by a three headed dog known as Cerberus. The realm of Hades was the last destination for mortals, no mortal could leave once inside. The only ones said to have escaped were Heracles, Aethra and Theseus.

After eons of time in his own realm, Hades grew bored. He passed by mortal after mortal, watching as they met their end. At first, it was almost thrilling to him but Hades soon grew tired. While down in the depths of the earth, Hades had full power to do as he pleased. No other God was near to scout out his interests. Through time, Hades created a powerful species that much resembled himself. He called them, the Hadis.

The Hadis were said to be a God's worst nightmare. Like Hades himself, they fed off the fear of humans and were terrible in nature. They each had the ability to control a gloomy mist that resembled their home realm, using it to devour their prey; sending mortals to their final destination.

Once the Hadis species was perfected, Hades released them upon the earth. Hell had finally broken loose. The Gods and Goddesses of Olympus were shocked by what they saw. Humans were slaughtered and the world turned to gloom, by a vast species descended from the God they dreaded the most.

Zeus and Poseidon bravely faced their brother, begging him to stop but Hades would not. He was near his maximum power. With a single dangerous species, Hades had the Olympus kneeling at his feet.

Hades allowed his brothers to bargain with him while his Hadis destroyed what they had so prestigiously created. After turning down endless offers, Hades presented them one final deal of his own. He would let the humans live, if the Hadis ruled the earth. His brothers agreed.

Behind his back, Zeus and Poseidon worked hard to find a way to put an end to the Hadis. Although Hades never feared them, he knew the power he had created would last for eons. Hades sat back and watched as the Hadis ruled earth. They devoured the humans they needed but let some live in small villages to keep their supply going.

Though the Hadis didn't allow this without a catch. The humans could live safely in their village but could not over populate their small portions of land. This forced humans to leave their villages once new life was created, supplying the Hadis with wild food.

After eons of this lifestyle, the humans were finally given back the earth. Hades was forced to watch as his brother Poseidon sent down a wave of Gods, Goddesses and Demigods who were willing to fight for mankind. They slaughtered through Hades' creation, proving their own power and restating Olympus as true rulers. Hades was forced back into his realm, accompanied only by his Queen, while life continued on for his distant brothers.

There was one piece of information that no one knew, not even Hades himself. The Hadis were more powerful than they had feared. A handful of Hadis had been gifted with abilities that even the majority of the Gods and Goddesses of Olympus didn't wield. The ability of foresight. A few of the Hadis had seen Poseidon's army swirling down and hid. It had become their turn to live in the shadows, not only from the humans but the entirety of Olympus.

A/N: This was also posted in a part called The Hadis in my smaller work: Beneath the Mythology, where you can read about the backgrounds of the creatures from all my Hadis stories.

Also NOTE: although this story is a second installment of Hadis, it takes place before the first story. If you read Hadis, you may recognize some of the flashback scenes and references to be further explored in this novel. However, due to the desperate editing Hadis requires, you may also find some differences from the previous novel.