prologue.

Evergreen sat beside Chayse, as they watched the parents hurry around to keep the kids busy. "This is boring." Chayse said, and Evergreen nodded her head in agreement. Evergreen stood up, and walked towards her Aunt. 

"Aunt Catt?" The blonde woman looked down at her, and smiled slightly. "Yeah baby girl?" She looked over at the table where the many unopened packages of balloons sat. "Can we use those?" Her Aunt nodded slightly, "Sure. It's your birthday." 

She grinned, "Thanks Aunt Catt!" The blonde smiled down at her, and her green eyes watched as she picked up to many packages. Chayse walked up to her, a small grin on her face.

"Balloon party?"

"Balloon party!"

  ✦   

The kids all held onto a balloon, each filled with helium to make them fly. "Okay. One, two, three! Let go!" Each child let go, and watched in wounder as the colors flew up into the sky. 

"Wow." Someone said from beside Evergreen, and she turned to her. "Jess!" She cheered, looking at her blonde cousin. "Hey here bug." Jessica said, poking her nose. She scrunched it up.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   

There was a laugh from behind Jessica, and Evergreen looked to see a boy. "Ooo!" She said, grinning. "Jess got her self a boyfriend?" Jessica laughed, and smiled back at the man.

"Evie, this is Sam. Sam this my cousin Evergreen."

Evergreen sat on the couch of Sam's and Jessica's apartment, waiting for Sam to be home. She didn't care how late it was, or that she had school tomorrow. All she wanted was Sam to kissed her forehead before she fell asleep.

She was dozing off, watching some commercial, when the door opened. Sam walked in, plying his jacket off. Evergreen sat up and grinned, "Sammy!" He smiled at her, but then frowned.

"Eve? You should be asleep."

Evergreen rolled her blue eyes, and sat up. "That's no fun! Plus I wanted to make sure you were coming back." She stood up from the bed, and hugged Sam. "Goodnight." He kissed her head.

"Goodnight."

Evergreen laid in her bed, the smell of smoke filled her lugs. She rolled over, rubbing her eyes.

Sitting up, she could feel the heat from the hallway. "Sam?" She called out, "Jessica!?"

A man walked into her room, and she stood up hurriedly. "Help!" She shouted, and watched as the man put a finger to his lips.

She could see the yellows, reds, and oranges if the flames down the hall, and her eyes widened with horror. They were getting closer to the room she was in. That was when there was a shout, "Evie!"

It was Sam, she knew that. She called back, and soon she saw Sam. The original man was gone, but she didn't notice.

"Evie, let's go."

She sat on the edge of the ambulance, her shoulders shaking under the shock blanket. She was just told that Jessica didn't make it, and she couldn't stop the tears.

Sam kneeled infornt of her, "Evie-"

"No!" She snapped, "I'm not listening to you!" Sam looked hurt. "Why?"

The twelve-year-old rubbed her red eyes.

"You're the reason Jessica died!"