Inviting a Friend

Bea's POV

I sat at the counter in my family's store,  the Ol' Pickaxe, tapping my fingers on top of the counter in the store. I was bored out of my mind and needed something to do.

Not to forget, I also have work later. Hired to fix a potential explosion, aka a furnace. So, not only will I be bored and lonely, I'll be bored, lonely and will potentially die. If only someone I know would come in, I could see if they could come with me.

???: Heyyyy Beabea.

Me and my fucking mouth.

I turned towards the door to see my "friend". She was a blue cat with red eyes. She had an orange shirt with the number zero on it, jeans, and sneakers. I only knew her as Bea.

Bea: Hey Mae

Mae: How's it going?

Other than complete and sheer boredom?

Bea: Got a lot of rock salt to move. Came in early this year and, like, a crapload of snow shovels... Usually the distro place doesn't goof up like this.

Mae: Maybe it's run by weather wizards?

It literally took almost every bone in my body to not crack a smile or even a smirk.

Bea: Yeah, that's not a bad theory. So, what's up?

Mae: Wanna hang out tonight????

For some reason, I felt giddy about her asking if I wanted to hang out with her. Unfortunately for her...

Bea: Uh, I'm working. If you wanna, like, come along.

Mae: Oh, I was thinking we'd go play putt-putt out in Hunwick.

What's with Mayday? We haven't played putt-putt in a long time.

Bea: Mae, that's actually not a bad idea, but sorry, I got work.

She starts pouting a pout that I found adorable. Wait, adorable?

Mae: Awww geez. What is even the point?

Bea: Paychecks, rent, food, medicine. That kinda thing. So do you want to come along or not?

Little did I know, I was about to experience something well worth the work.