If It Is Broke, Don't Fix It

Bea POV

Mae and I headed downstairs, while praying that the Old Fox doesn't lock us in here, to the basement. In front of us a large furnace installed by my family, a couple of drawers and a metal storage closet. Behind us, under the stairs was a couple of packed boxes, including a conveniently placed baseball bat.

Mae: O-Oh man, I love creepy basements.

I turned to Mae with a confused look on my face, asking myself if she really did just stutter. I knew her from the past and now. She rarely stuttered, as she was always sure of herself. Mae seemed really nervous for some reason, and I felt worried about her too.

Brushing it off as a friend thing, I turn back to the furnace, trying to hide my worried look, and just played along.

Bea: Aaand why wouldn't you. Look at all this... splendor.

Mae: looks around Geez she's got a lot of junk. chuckles a little Maybe she's got a few more husbands stacked in the corner.

I smile and snicker a little. Now that's my Mae. But why did feel different, but in a good way? And why did I think of her as my Mae.

Bea: Is it possible that...? N-No... it couldn't be... could it?

I try to shake the idea out of my head, feeling a small blush appear on my cheeks.

Bea: A-Alright, let's get this done so we can home.

The both of us walked towards the furnace, where Mae just looks at with a cute, curious look.

Bea: No! Bad Bea! Stop!

Mae: That's the furnace?

Bea: That's the furnace.

Mae: I've decided his name is Clanky.

Bea: snickers Okay, you just hang out. I'm going to fix this right quick. Don't, like... break anything.

Mae: What am I gonna break? This is a basement full of crap!

Sighing, I walk forward with my cigarette lit in my mouth, looking over the furnace. Quickly I spot the problem.

Bea: Oh geez... okay. Shouldn't be long.

Mae: Can I help?

The moment she said that, my heart just stopped. As lovable Dammit brain! as she is, I remembered every moment she tried to build or fix things, which usually ends in disaster.

Bea: Nope!

Mae: Why am I here then?

Bea: smirks Because you wanted to come along. Just chill.

When she stopped speaking, I assumed she decided to stop talking and went to work, while subconsciously thinking about how much Mae really means to me.

Mae POV

Dammit! I was hoping she would say yes!

After what seemed like hours of debating with myself whether or not I truly fell for the goth girl, I accepted that as fact. The easy part was accepting how I felt about Bea. Now comes the hard part: impressing her.

I was hoping she'd let me help so I could impress her with my repairman skills (which were completely nonexistent), so I tried to devise a different plan.

Mae: Aha! I'll try and fix it myself! Bea will have no choice but to be impressed! But I'll need some gear...

Knowing that Bea probably won't let me use her tools that she is using, I decided to get a bit crafty. Upon closer examination, I came up with my own solution.