Safehouse

10 years later.

rebel base, outskirts of Seattle, WA

  Ian fiddled with the ACOG scope on his gun, getting it to lock onto his fingers. His black hair fell in his green eyes. He slowly played the last 10 years through his head. First the nukes. then the invasion. Then eradication of citizens. They killed most of the innocent civilians. They. The Ones.  The survivors banded together to retake there country, which brought him here. Nobody knew who They were. all we knew was that they were human, although rumors of the contrary existed.

  "PRIVATE! The briefing begins in an minute! GET TO THE MOTOR POOL, DOUBLE TIME!"

  Ian lurched back into the wall, as Capt. Samson (they had managed to piece together a command structure from the army vets that had survived) screamed in his face. "Captain Samson never fails to live up to his name" Ian thought, as he slid the shoulder strap of his G36C on his shoulder as he raced down the gray halls to the motor pool.

  Ian slowed down as he past the control room, attempting to find Amy, a girl he had taken a likeing to, as he ran by, but he didn't see her, so sped up to get to his briefing in the motor pool.

  The "motor pool" contained a small, black sedan, a VW van, and a troop transport truck savaged from a wreaked military base. A sleek red Apache Longbow helicopter also salvaged from said base made its home in the far right corner of the garage. To the left, a crowd of similarly dressed and armed men and boys surrounded a small computer terminal looking through images recon had collected of an airport where supposedly prisoners were being held.

   Ian walked over to the crowd, ducking as he came to avoid being sighted by the Sergent briefing the group. Ian hated to be late, but he was still emotionally struck by the last 10 years. And his family. He longed to see them one more time. Ian shoved these thoughts out of his head and listened to the briefing.

  "Hey" Ian's friend Howard whispered."Late again? Man... Sarge's gona be pissed."

  "Dude, shhhhh! don't want to get caught!"

  "Sorry man...Hey did you hear? Someone gets to test out the choppa to day!"

  "you mean Amy? Shes the only one who even knows how to fly that thing."

  "Nah dude, she has been teach'n people on the flight sim on the break room computers. I think the kids name is Anthony."

  "Maybe i'll learn."

  "You just want to be with her."

  "Well...

  His voice was cut off by that of the sergeant.

  "Ahhh.... Ian. well. is the something you would like to say?"

  "Umm...no."

  "No-SIR to you"

  The sergeant turns his head and continues his briefing. Ian elbows Howard, and leans in.

  -and I want all of you here at 0700 hours tomorrow. DISMISSED.

  Ian walks back to the barracks, sliding his hand on the wall as he walked. he passed a small teal sign. it read Control Room. he stepped inside. among the crowd of officers watch a guy beat Valor AE, (a first person shooter game many of the guys play while on break. No one hade beat it yet.) he spotted Amy's station partner Aaron, a short blonde guy who would never shut up.

  "No your girlfriend isn't here." Aaron said before Ian could even ask. "shes in the lounge. Now leave."

  Ian didn't stay long enough to here the last words. He hadn't seen Amy since he got back from his last fight for a supply depot.