Color Blind

Color Blind

                                                                written by, Sofia G.

I remember when I found out that nobody liked the color brown. I was drawing during lunch

in middle school with my twin sister Nani who sat next to me. A boy named Danny Smith had complimented me saying I was "pretty" because my skin was so light and shiny. I'd blushed because I liked Danny for a while. I said, "Thank you".
Danny looked over me to see Nani and asked, "Is that your twin sister?'
"Yes," I said.
"Why is she not as pretty as you? Her skin is so dark" he said puzzled. I couldn't help but throw my sketch pad at him and tell him to go away. Danny stood there in utter shock and staggered away.
"What did he say about me?" said Nani who was trying to look for her backpack.
"It's right next to me Nani," I said as I handed it back to her.
"Thanks," Nani said quietly and got up for our next period. I knew Nani heard what Danny said about her. It was already hard for my sister to come into this world born blind and not being able to see what the world thinks of her.
As we got older, I saw how Nani would feel the mirror on our bathroom while her grey eyes teared up. She collapsed on the floor and still looked up to the mirror, "Why does the world hate me?" she sobbed.
I wanted to answer but I didn't know either.

During our sophomore year, I received roses and chocolates from boys at my school for Valentine's day while my sister got a small box of candies from the librarian. "I smell the chocolates and flowers on your bed. I told you nobody liked me," Nani said as she shut her bedroom door in my face. At that moment I wanted to cry but I silently walked back to my room. I didn't want to eat any of the candies or read the valentine's card that were given to me. All I wanted to do was lock myself in my room and feel guilty for myself.
I just kept staring at the picture of Nani and me when we were 5 years old, wearing matching dresses.My sister and I were both blind to the world on how they saw us. Little did I know that our value was in our color of our skin.

I continued to look at pictures to see how people leaned away when they were close to Nani in school pictures. I remembered the time when nobody asked her to the dance and she ended up joining the clean up committee, and how Nani was always cut out in the yearbook pictures.
I had to asked myself, "What happened to me? Where was I when Nani needed me? What happened to the girl who yelled at people who were picking on her sister?" I got a couple of pieces of paper and began writing.

When I finished my letter I knocked on Nani's door.

"Whaaaaat?" Nani groaned.
"Can you open the door? I want to tell you something," I said softly, trying to open her door. I heard a loud thump on the door that I believed was her pillow.

"No, just tell me" she said.
"Fine," I sighed.

Dear Nani,

I see how we have fallen out and I didn't even notice. I didn't see how much you were going through. I thought you knew that I loved you but I don't think you know that. I see how the world treats you and it's frustrates you because you can't see yourself. So let me describe you in my eyes:

Eyes: The feeling when we go to the ocean and the fog rolls in with the sweet rain earthy smell.
Face: freckles that act as stars, twinkling all around your face.
Hands: Cool and calming like the ocean reaches for sand.
Hair: Your hair is fragile like webs of silk and black as night.
Skin: It's the color of richest carmel and your undertones are warm like a sunset..

You are beautiful to me Nani.

When I put the letter down, I saw how my sister's grey eyes looked at my brown eyes. Nani's eyes were filled with tears and she said, "Thank you.... Sister," and reached her hands out to find me. I grabbed her close and held her in my arms. Nani's body grew weak and she fell down.

"I got you sister," I whispered and went to her level.