Chapter 1

“Stop changing the damn station!”

“I wouldn’t have to if you didn’t listen to such bad songs!” I retorted.

Ivon glared at me from the back seat. “I listen to bad songs? What the hell do you call this crap that’s playing, huh?”

I rolled my eyes. “It’s called GOOD music. You should listen to it sometime.”

I heard him growl and soon saw his arm shoot out in between me and Nate’s seat and immediately change the station. I shrieked in objection, changing the station right back to what I had changed it to. He slapped my hand away hard, causing it to hit the window. Pain shot through my arm but I ignored it as I pinched his arm when he changed the station back, causing him to recoil.

“What the hell!”

I seized my chance and changed the station back and continued to sit in momentary peace.

He pinched my arm back. Harder.

“Ow!”

I turned in my seat to face him angrily. He was already scooting to the other side of the car so I jumped up and managed to get a good hit to his leg. He retaliated by kneeing me in the chest and I felt my leg kick in reaction.

“Shit Nessa!” I heard Nate curse as the car swiveled to the left and I found my self plopping back into my seat, the seatbelt slapping my chest painfully.

“Would you two cut it out and stop acting like damn little kids?” Nate continued angrily once the car was back in control. “At least save the fighting for school or home, got it?”

Ivon and I had a glaring contest through the review mirror and we both remained silent. Nate sighed and focused on the road, changing the radio to his own station. My arm twitched, but I fought the impulse to change it. I saw Ivon holding back also and smirked before staring out the window again.

For us, this was pretty much a typical morning, however odd it was.

You see, the three of us are best friends. We’ve all been since the sixth grade. Ivon and I aren’t exactly friendly though. We’re always mean to each other and get into many fights, mostly physical. But through it all we still love each other. As friends of course.

The two of them had slept over my house last night since today was the first day of senior year. They were both excited, what with them being on the football team, instantly making them popular, but I could really care less. My life was pretty normal.

Well, not really, but I’d like to say it is.

We pulled into our school parking lot and the both of them got out as soon as the engine was cut off. I rolled my eyes and took my time opening the door, grabbing my bag, and closing the door, knowing they wouldn’t leave without me.

As expected, they groaned in annoyance.

As soon as the door was closed I found myself getting picked up non-too-gently and thrown over a shoulder. I shrieked and looked up, seeing Ivon smirk at me. I groaned and began hitting Nate’s back, begging him to put me down.

“Come on! I can walk perfectly fine!”

“I know, but you walk too damn slow,” he replied and I could hear the grin in his voice.

I rolled my eyes. “I promise I’ll walk faster!”

“Not a chance,” he said, laughing with Ivon, and I felt him slap my ass, causing me to jump and my stomach to ache painfully as it made rough contact with his shoulder.

As they continued walking, I saw freshman looking at us oddly, but others only grinned and waved at us since they were used to our antics. Some people said hi as we passed and I would say hi back, desperately grabbing out to anything I could to try to get myself on the ground again. Of course I wouldn’t be able to get down until Nate let me.

As I gave up and let my body go limp, staring awkwardly at Nate’s butt, I heard a loud shriek and running. I groaned, already knowing who was approaching us.

“VANESSA!”

I looked up reluctantly and saw my other best friend Michelle running down the hall towards us. Leah and Leslie trailed behind her.

Before I could yell out a response, Nate began running quickly. I laughed and tried my best not to fall off since he ran really fast. It was difficult but I managed until he reached the gym, where we were getting our schedules. He finally put me down.

I chatted with all my friends that I hadn’t seen over the summer, which was practically everyone since I spent most of my time with either the girls or the usual group of guys. A majority of my friends are guys because I get along with them more, but I wasn’t considered a whore or a slut, which I was thankful for.

As I walked forward in my line for my scheduled, I felt two hard bodies slam into me. I stumbled and almost fell but a strong arm caught me around the waist. I turned around and saw Brian and Devyn, two guys from Nate and Ivon’s group, grinning at me.

“Oh my gosh!” I squealed as I all but tackled them. I hadn’t seen them much over the summer and it was nice to see their familiar faces.

“Whoa, down girl,” Devyn chuckled.

“Yeah I know we’re hot and all, but you’ve got to learn to control yourself,” Brian said, causing me to laugh and pull away.

“Whatever. I’m the sexy one here and you know it,” I responded playfully.

We chatted for a few more minutes before they wandered off to get their own schedules. I was almost to the front of the line now and I continued talking to a few other classmates around me. However cocky it sounded, I was popular but that didn’t mean I had to be mean and ignore people who were ‘under’ me. I didn’t care if you were a geek or nerd, as long as you’re nice to me, I’m nice to you. I didn’t see why everyone didn’t have that mentality. Everything would be so much easier.

When I finally got my schedule I looked it over and was satisfied with it.

I walked around the gym some more, comparing my schedule with others. I was glad to find that I had a fair amount of classes with Nate, Ivon, and Michelle.

As I continued going over my schedule in a secluded area of the gym, I felt a pair of arms wrap around my waist. I turned around, grinning like an idiot, knowing who it already was. Sure enough I spun around and was instantly greeted byBrandon’s cute boyish grin.

“Hey there beautiful,” he whispered.

“Hey yourself,” I said, giggling slightly. I felt a mindless bimbo but I didn’t care. I was happy.

He leaned down and pecked me softly on the lips. “How was your sleepover?”

“Horrible. Ivon put all but two of my bras in the freezer. They’re defrosting as we speak, but I won’t be able to wear them again,” I grumbled, remembering the morning’s events and why I was so snappy with Ivon in the car.

He threw his head back in response, laughing loudly and causing several people to look our way. Once again, I didn’t really care.

“Hopefully he saved the lacy ones,” he said wiggling his eyebrows.

“Shut up!” I scolded playfully, laughing and hitting his chest even though it didn’t affect him.

“Let me see your schedule,” he said upon seeing it in my hand. I held it out of his reach, wriggling around in his arms so he couldn’t get it. He cursed and I laughed as his arms wrapped around my torso from behind, lifting me off my feet and tickling my sides. As I squirmed uncontrollably he managed to get my schedule but he didn’t put me down.

“Okay, you have it! Now let me down!”

“I don’t think so,” he responded casually, reading over my schedule. “Sweet! We have three classes together babe,” he said happily as he let me down and kissed me again. And for once I didn’t mind kissing him back in the middle of the crowded gym.

It was a very good start to senior year.