College Kids

:)

She hadn't been late. She hadn't zoned out. She hadn't even cried in front of the class again. So why was she sitting in this rigid chair, reliving her days as a mischievous child?

The wooden seat underneath Amy felt like a rock. Already, a dull ache was spreading across her backside. This school spent thousands ensuring that kindergartners had the latest technology but couldn't invest in more comfortable chairs. It was a travesty in her eyes.

Her eyes trailed the hands of the clock on the wall, keeping track of the steady beat. She remembered this clock, the plain black trim, the sharp arrows that signaled the time. It was a little more scuffed than it had been fifteen years ago, but it was still undeniably the same clock.

Principal Rutgers would never change, she mused. Even now, the stern, fussy older lady looked the same as she always had. Gray hair pulled back in a bun so tightly her scalp was stretching. A no nonsense outfit that consisted of black loafers, a pencil skirt, and a starched white blouse. And that severe look in her eyes that made children fear her. She'd always be the same.

In fact, nothing ever really changed in this small town. Except for one thing. But if she thought about that she'd drown herself in a pool of anguish. So instead she focused on the mahogany door and waited for her boss to arrive.

Joy Rutgers was an imposing women who took everything in life as seriously as possible. She was the literal opposite of her given name. The other teachers had taken to calling her Joyless and the moniker had stuck. She strode in, thin arms pumping, brow furrowed, and shoes thumping on the creaking floors. She sat primly on her desk chair and folded her hands in front of her, resembling a diabolical movie villain.

"Hello, Ms. Dillard," she began, her tone clipped. She glowered at Amy almost threateningly. Something steely was circling in her cold green eyes.

"Hi, Joy," she chirped. "How are you?"

Her frown only became deeper upon hearing her first name spoken aloud. "That's Mrs. Rutgers to you," she snapped.

Amy sighed heavily. Things were already taking a turn for the worse. She should've known by now that friendliness wouldn't work on this battle axe.

"Of course, Mrs. Rutgers. Why'd you want to see me?"

"I've requested your presence here due to some... allegations concerning you."

Amy's blood ran cold, so cold she almost began to shiver. She'd known this moment was coming. She'd just shoved it out of her mind because she already had enough to stress about. Now it was glaring her straight in the face like headlights on an open road.

"Certain sources have told me that you spend an inordinate amount of your time at the Blue Brick Pub every night."

So someone had snitched on her. When she got her hands on whoever it was, she'd-

Joyless was still talking. "Of course, a primary school teacher attending such a deplorable place would be unspeakable. But I wanted to speak with you about it before jumping to conclusions. Lord knows I'm too old to be doing any jumping."

She tried to shake herself out of her frozen stupor and reply. "I-I do go to the pub," she blurted.

Joyless raised an eyebrow but didn't speak. Amy fumbled to continue.

"But I'm twenty two. I'm old enough to drink whenever I want."

"That doesn't mean you should."

She was sick and tired of everyone telling her what she should and shouldn't do. It was her life, and she wanted the liberty to destroy it as she pleased.