Chapter 1

The sun was just rising from behind the clouds in the east. "It's gonna be a cold day." The Highwayman said to himself. He zipped up his jacket, then buttoned up his trench coat above that.

  He walked a couple of miles with just the sounds of nature around him, until he heard the very familiar sound that everyone that had lived through the last four years had heard at some point.

  The moan of the undead.

  He took his bag from his right shoulder, and his M1 Carbine from his left, and propped both of them on the ground. He then reached me undid his trench coat, and reached into the darkness of the coat. He then pulled a machete out from a sheath hiding on his belt under his coat.

  The Highwayman then got in a defensive stance. "Still doing what you taught me." He said to himself. He then kicked the shin of the corpse; causing its bone to pierce through the back of its leg. The monster then proceeded to stumble over.

  He then brought the machete down into the back of the rotting corpse. When he yanked the blade out, a mixture of red and black liquid spurted out of the impact zone.

  The Highwayman wiped the gore off of his weapon on the rotting bodies' clothes. "Better his clothes than mine."

  The Highwayman walked until the sun went through the clouds in the west. He sat his pack down on the side of the dirt road, and propped the rifle beside it. he then unclipped one of the smaller bags hooked to the back of the pack. He opened the smaller bag, and pulled out what looked like a heap of cloth.

  He then strung the fabric up, and made a hammock between two trees far enough up so the undead couldn't get him. He grabbed his rifle, and pack, and got up to his temporary sleeping arrangements.

  The night went by rather quiet, with only three or four undead scrambling by his hammock. When the sun once again in the east, he packed his bed up, and hit the road once more.

  After walking for a few miles from his last stop, he noticed a terrible smell. When he came over a hill, he saw a giant herd moving perpendicular to him about a quarter mile away.

  "Guess ill the the direction they are going in to warn any survivors." He then started sprinting. He ran until he was a good ways ahead of the herd then decided to stop and take a breather. He noticed he had come up on a running car. When he went up to investigate who was in the car, he heard a gun cock behind him.

  When the Highwayman turned around, he saw the barrel of a handgun aimed at his head. And around that, he saw the last paleness of the sun setting in the west just off in the distance.