How to Locate Identical Files on Computer

File arrangement is a very important part of a computer. Structure refers to the 'tree' format that is used within computers. There is usually one primary folder and several sub-folders and sub-sub-folders inside the one main folder. These folder structures are very important in that a number of programs and applications have a specific file path saved so they can find a file when needed. This means that keeping that file structure unaltered is essential to ensuring the functionality of various programs on the computer. Keeping these file structures is a critical piece of computer programming. Correct file organization and set up can be the difference between a very fluid and effective piece of software and software that crashes every few minutes.

Regular maintenance of files on a computer is extremely helpful in keeping the computer operating smoothly and efficiently. Maintenance may have a number of meanings but generally just means 'cleaning up'. Many files are generated through regular computer use and some of them are just duplicates of one another. These redundant files do more taking up hard drive space than being supportive to an application on the computer. The most well-known technique for removing these files is to find the file in its folder location. At this point, the file can be opened to verify its contents against a similar file. Then, the file may be right-clicked to bring up a menu of potential options. From here, select 'Delete' to remove the file from the folder. This method is extremely slow if many files are to be removed.

A quick stop at www.hothotsoftware.com to search 'How to Locate Identical Files on a Computer' will bring up a fantastic piece of software for file maintenance. This software operates entirely within a single window, eliminating any chance of getting confused or lost while using the software. This window is divided into three main sections. The top section is to add any files to the list with which you will be working. These files may be added individually with the 'Add File(s)' button or the software can look through a folder for any files of certain type. The bottom left portion of the window exhibits a small image viewer to preview any chosen files. These previews apply to both image and text files. This is convenient so that any files can be checked for content before they are deleted. The bottom of the window has a button to start the process of finding duplicate files. The bottom right of the window shows the results of your search. The results are shown in a list format. This shows which files are duplicates of one another. The list also has the capability of choosing certain files to be deleted. The delete button is found directly below the results list.

If you wish to learn more about this software, please visit http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LncHYfuQ7o. Maintaining your files is essential to keeping an efficient computer. However, opening and comparing file contents is a very sluggish process. Utilize this software to look within your files for you and locate any redundancies.