01 | Let's Get Started

I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO! I HAVE A CHARACTER BUT THEY'RE TOO FLAWLESS

I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO! I HAVE A CHARACTER BUT THEY'RE TOO FLAWLESS. If you seem to be stuck in the predicament where you're trying to write character with insecurities but you find yourself a little lost down the road, here is hopefully a guide with tips, tricks, and lots of help for you.

When I wrote my first book, I knew that my characters were too cookie cutter. Too perfect. Not real enough. So I began asking myself how to make them more realistic. The answer of course was to give them flaws and insecurities, to make them a real person. Because in reality, none of us are perfect and we all have insecurities, that's what makes us human. 

If you've been reading books on wattpad for a while, you'll have noticed that a lot of authors are in the same boat that I used to be in. My main goal for this project is to help authors out of that and to write character that are far more realistic in todays world and society no matter the genre of book. 

And from time to time I think as authors we're all guilty of writing flawless people. 

When I first started writing character with insecurities and flaws, I had so many unanswered questions.

"How in the hell do I write about mental disorders without offence?"/ "Do I need to be specific?" / "Does my character need to show this flaw all the time or can it be a bit hidden within his/her personality?" 

Rule is that: people will be people and get offended at the smallest things

Someone no matter how well you try and put something can still get and be offended, but you as the author, with that now in mind, need to write to your own personal liking. Don't try to offend anyone, but at the same time, if you feel as though something sounds right, just write it!

Also, don't ever feel as if your character is too flawed or not flawed enough. The main goals of writing characters with insecurities, is to get the fact out there that having insecurities is a normal everyday thing that every single person goes through.

So even if your character is insecure of that shirt that they're wearing, go with it! It doesn't have to be a whole damn chapter on their shirt, but hey, they got insecure about what they were wearing, and it was the point that you wrote it and they are human just as the rest of us!

Now, I still struggle with writing flaw and characters who have insecurities, anxieties, mental health problems and all of the above. I'm still growing and learning. But I think of this as how do I go about my day? What am I insecure about? And how can I make my character just as human as I am?

You should do this too. 

So, for starters, I'd like to give you all a few simple rules of starting out and writing insecurities. We'll get into some more in depth topics later on. 

IF YOU HAVE ANY REQUESTS ON TOPICS, DON'T BE AFRAID TO COMMENT OR PM ME FOR IT!

Here are the simple starting rules:

1. Start out small; there is no problem at all starting with writing simple little insecurities into your characters until you get the feel for writing certain flaws and how to integrate them smoothly into the storyline and plot.

2. Relax; there is no group of people that are going to come an hunt you down if you describe a certain insecurity "wrong". In my opinion there is no wrong way to describe any insecurity because insecurities can be anything!

3. Go with the flow; and by that I don't mean writing the same thing that everyone else is writing. I mean to go with how you feel the story is flowing, what fits and what makes sense. If your character is a bikini model, they're probably not insecure about their body.

4. No boundaries; like I said before, no insecurity is too big or too small. Take something and run with it, even if the story doesn't revolve around this insecurity that's ok!!

If you have any questions, feel free to spam the comments!

Tell me what your worries and challenges are when creating insecurities.

I really hope this book helps you in some sort of way, there will be many topics, and I hope to always be updating this book. 

Lastly, let the creating begin!